Rings Turned Out definition
Started by bigB, January 16, 2014 · 7 Replies · 17,160 Views
My guess would be that you built up too much volume too fast, and the pain is from tendinitis.
"Rings turned out" can mean anything beyond rings parallel to each other (i.e. what you would call 0 degrees). For the purpose of developing strength in a support, 45 degrees is a good metric to use.
How do you know when you are in proper RTO position for your body?
Is the definition of RTO just getting the arms off the straps?
That step is easier than getting the rings off my arms.
Regarding the injury, it may have been from working on RTO support, working on longer straps (5ft to 9ft), or a few right hooks on my top-bottom bag where I may have hyper extended my elbow because I was trying to work on keeping my arm as relaxed as possible.
bigB said:How do you know when you are in proper RTO position for your body?
Is the definition of RTO just getting the arms off the straps?
That step is easier than getting the rings off my arms.
Regarding the injury, it may have been from working on RTO support, working on longer straps (5ft to 9ft), or a few right hooks on my top-bottom bag where I may have hyper extended my elbow because I was trying to work on keeping my arm as relaxed as possible.
In a proper RTO support, the straps should not be touching the arms, and the forearms should not be exerting any pressure on the rings - ideally they shouldn't touch at all. See this video for an example:
RTO means that at a minimum the rings should be turned past parallel. The degree of 'past parallel' will vary from athlete to athlete.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks for responding Coach.
Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but I'm still looking for some focus points so I know when I've found the right amount of rotation.
- rings turned out past parallel at a minimum
- elbows locked
- epicondyles of the elbow are parallel with the coronal plane of the torso
- forearms off straps
- minimal or no contact with top of ring
- ring makes contact with base of palm 1/2 inch in front of base of palm
In regards to your forearms touching the straps, take a look at this post https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/6494-correct-xr-support-and-hs-guidelines/
Scroll down to Mats Trane's question about wrist position. The way I understand it is in a proper support position you aren't using a false grip, and when done properly (as described in that post) your forearms will not touch the straps. Doing support in a false grip though, it's harder to avoid depending on the degree of false grip used.
More qualified people than me may correct that last statement. But coach himself comments on support hold in that post. Give it a read.
bigB said:Thanks for responding Coach.
Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but I'm still looking for some focus points so I know when I've found the right amount of rotation.
- rings turned out past parallel at a minimum
- elbows locked
- epicondyles of the elbow are parallel with the coronal plane of the torso
- forearms off straps
- minimal or no contact with top of ring
- ring makes contact with base of palm 1/2 inch in front of base of palm
Just get into support hold and externally rotate your arms as much as you are able to while you do your best to keep your forearms off of the rings. According to Coach how much rotation varies between athletes. For any further details just watch the video someone kindly posted.