This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Relation of HBP PE3 to sPL/SE1 iM

Started by dritar, January 16, 2014 · 9 Replies · 485 Views

dritar

Hi, 

 

I'm currently on HBP PE3 and sPL/PE5 and will likely spend some cycles perfecting various points of these two exercises (I have to gain some awareness when I'm piking or not).

 

I've seen that the bent arm planche iM are a roadblock for people who are more advanced than I, and from what I've gathered the advice is to review pseudo planche pushups.

 

My question is the following. Is not being able to get into the position of the sPL/SE1 iM or hold it after mastering HBP PE3 a sign that you didn't really master HBP PE3 or should one not worry too much ?

 

 

Christian

Yes and no. You can move on from the PPP if you can do them at hands somewhere between hip and lower ribs.

But you can and should still keep it in warmup and try to improve it. Holding the lower position while leaning forward as much as you can is a good exercise to improve it.

VegVeg
Christian said:

Yes and no. You can move on from the PPP if you can do them at hands somewhere between hip and lower ribs.

But you can and should still keep it in warmup and try to improve it. Holding the lower position while leaning forward as much as you can is a good exercise to improve it.

Between hip and lower rib?  :blink:

I've been trying to nail these with hands contact at the hips for a while, your above statement will sure shorten my journey !!  :lol:

Please tell me the same about PL's B-)  

Christian

I would still have them in the warm up and keep improving them so when you get to sPL in F2 you'll manage the iM.

ausswe

I'd personally not move on until the palm of my hands are at the top of my hip for hbp pe3 and spl pe5.

J0X

A few things that helped me:

 

-make sure you performed PPP's correctly. It's insanely hard when done right. Focus on protraction in the entire movement range.

 

-improve your breathing. At first, you will be holding your breath most likely with this exercise. Try and hold the position as high as possible, maintain protraction, and then start to concentrate on being able to breath. You should be feeling it in the chest a lot.

 

-Don't lower your head and upper body and then extend legs, it's very difficult to protract that way. Try and stay as high up as you can.

 

 

LateStarter@46

I  agree with Christian's comments. Also, to master the sPL SE1 iM - just keep on doing it. I have slow progress (body now about 20deg above horizontal - down from 60deg - whilst on parallettes), but it's still progress.

Joshua Slocum
dritar said:

Hi, 

 

I'm currently on HBP PE3 and sPL/PE5 and will likely spend some cycles perfecting various points of these two exercises (I have to gain some awareness when I'm piking or not).

 

I've seen that the bent arm planche iM are a roadblock for people who are more advanced than I, and from what I've gathered the advice is to review pseudo planche pushups.

 

My question is the following. Is not being able to get into the position of the sPL/SE1 iM or hold it after mastering HBP PE3 a sign that you didn't really master HBP PE3 or should one not worry too much ?

There is a skill aspect to SE1 - you have to have the control to balance rather than landing flat on your face. However, if you've mastered HBP/PE3 you should have the strength to hold the position for several seconds. Lacking the strength to hold SPl/SE1>iM would be an indicator that you did not properly master HBP/PE3. 

dritar

Cool. So this position is a good gauge for HBP PE3 mastery then.

 

So I've playing with this (I haven't mastered HBP PE3 yet and I'm still on the first block for sPL/PE6) and I think I'm close to being able to do hold it a bit. I can almost hold it if fresh and from what I understand quite a bit of lower back strength is involved no ? 

 

What I mean is, in my best attempts where I can hold for 3 secs are when I focus not just on the protraction and depression but surprisingly on having a wide half straddle and squeezing the glutes. It actually seems more important for balancing this position than arm strength, is this a correct assessment ?

Joshua Slocum
dritar said:

Cool. So this position is a good gauge for HBP PE3 mastery then.

 

So I've playing with this (I haven't mastered HBP PE3 yet and I'm still on the first block for sPL/PE6) and I think I'm close to being able to do hold it a bit. I can almost hold it if fresh and from what I understand quite a bit of lower back strength is involved no ? 

 

What I mean is, in my best attempts where I can hold for 3 secs are when I focus not just on the protraction and depression but surprisingly on having a wide half straddle and squeezing the glutes. It actually seems more important for balancing this position than arm strength, is this a correct assessment ?

I don't know that I'd say lower back/glute strength is more important than arm strength, but it certainly is a component of the movement. The previous sPL iM's should be sufficient to build this up.