This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL PE4 confusion

Started by Micawberian, January 15, 2014 · 5 Replies · 193 Views

Micawberian

Hey guys,

I'm confused what is the purpose of the free arm. Notes say to keep the supporting shoulder completely extended. Did this mean to protract it along with the working arm? I am also confused about the purpose of the free arm. it is grasping the elbow but should it be giving any sort of assistance? I'm not really seeing any difference whether I protract the free arm or where i put it (grasping elbow, free against back, etc..)

I wish you guys can clarify! Hope your training is going well too :)

dritar

I think it's the shoulder that's supporting your arm. The note in just in line with the sPL progressions, where you should aim to press the ground and never let your shoulder retract and lower back arch. 

 

The arm in the elbow is for balance I think. It helped me a bit in the beginning but by mastery time it made no difference.

 

Kind regards.

Micawberian

Hmm, maybe I am confused with some English terminology. By supporting arm, are we referring to the arm that is predominantly working or are we referring to the arm that is grasping the elbow? If I misunderstood this exercise because of my reading comprehension, that is one big :facepalm:

So the shoulder of the free arm does not have to protract or anything? Just keep it only for balance by grasping the elbow?

dritar

Yes, supporting shoulder refers to the shoulder of the arm that is working, i.e. supporting you. That needs to be protracted. You should get some "burn" on whatever muscle is in the side of your ribcage :).

ausswe

Arm touching the floor maximum protraction

The other arm is just there to balance you so that your body stays level and straight. All the focus should be on protraction the arm that touches the ground

Micawberian

Thanks guys :) Wow I feel like such an idiot over an English mistake!