This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC PE15

Started by Eric Xavier, January 15, 2014 · 8 Replies · 475 Views

Eric Xavier

These are killing me.

When I lock out the elbows at the bottom, pulling back up while keeping a full high L sit puts immense pressure on my shoulders.

Keeping the elbows from locking out at the bottom makes it a lot easier, but I hate pulling up without full rom. Lowering the L at the bottom or breaking at the knees a little puts my shoulder out of the terrible bottom position and allows me to exert the strength I need to pull up in control.

Is there a tip or something I may be doing wrong? Are they supposed to be a few order of magnitude above RC PE14?

Robmob

Do you have any trouble doing the Pe 14 with locked out elbows? Im currently doing both Pe6 and Pe15 and whenever I do I would do a couple of reps, rest in a dead hang and do more. The issue here is that my Lsit is between 15-45 below the optimal 90 which may be why I dont have that much difficulty in it. 

 

What will obviously help is going back and seeing if you have any weak spots (for me thats Pe6) and if you dont then it must be your mobility. My traps are extremely tight, so doing some stretches from H1 (from where I am/have been) at night helps a lot. If not a physiotherapist would be able to help too.

 

If nothing helps then please come back. 

May I ask where you are at Manna and Planche as well as Front Lever training? The genius of GB is that everything is tied in together, which sometimes happens to be its own downfall as people obviously progress at different rates.

 

Anyways I hope I helped.

 

Rob

Jon Douglas

Keep elbows back, pull from lats not from arms, and keep upper body hollow.

They come slowly; drop the reps for a while if you need to. They work wonders to build lats though. Yes, they are substantially harder than PE14; they are the top of the vertical pulling before you go onto multi plane.

 

Full ROM singles for 10 sets is far better than 5x2 with a concession like breaking knee angle, etc. IMO :)

Ravn

These bother me too, but only in my left shoulder which is slightly screwed up due to surgery. They feel fine in the right shoulder, altough they obviously strenuous.

 

Perhaps it will help you, if you make sure to initiate the movement by pulling down with your shoulder blades, then pulling down with your arms. Full scapula depression sort of takes you out of the disadvantaged lever position at the bottom.

Mats Trane
Ravn said:

 

Perhaps it will help you, if you make sure to initiate the movement by pulling down with your shoulder blades, then pulling down with your arms. Full scapula depression sort of takes you out of the disadvantaged lever position at the bottom.

Ravn is right. Always start by pulling with your bigger, stronger back muscles then use your arms. I did a video of this a while ago with regular pullups

http://youtu.be/qpi5VCNJLg8

Eric Xavier

Thanks for the pointers everyone.  I really appreciate it.

 

I definitely agree that pulling down the shoulders away from your ears (depress the scapula?) is essential for basically all pull-ups, forward pulls, etc.  

 

It's just that having a high L sit is putting an inordinate amount of pressure on my shoulders.  As soon as I drop my L sit below full horizontal, the movement becomes dramatically easier. 

 

I think I just have to scale down to 2 rep sets and slug it out with this one.  I'm going to be betting on keeping a "right" form and full rom over building some strength with shabby form and rom.  It feels really weird to do 2 rep pull-ups tbh.

Jon Douglas
Eric Xavier said:

Thanks for the pointers everyone.  I really appreciate it.

 

I definitely agree that pulling down the shoulders away from your ears (depress the scapula?) is essential for basically all pull-ups, forward pulls, etc.  

 

It's just that having a high L sit is putting an inordinate amount of pressure on my shoulders.  As soon as I drop my L sit below full horizontal, the movement becomes dramatically easier. 

 

I think I just have to scale down to 2 rep sets and slug it out with this one.  I'm going to be betting on keeping a "right" form and full rom over building some strength with shabby form and rom.  It feels really weird to do 2 rep pull-ups tbh.

Don't worry, make up the volume by doing more sets until you lose tempo if you are craving more work ;)

They'll come.

Eric Xavier
Jon Douglas said:

Keep elbows back, pull from lats not from arms, and keep upper body hollow.

They come slowly; drop the reps for a while if you need to. They work wonders to build lats though. Yes, they are substantially harder than PE14; they are the top of the vertical pulling before you go onto multi plane.

 

Full ROM singles for 10 sets is far better than 5x2 with a concession like breaking knee angle, etc. IMO :)

Keeping the elbows back was a key indication, and this has made the pull from zero much better.  

 

When I go into a high L, my glutes are forward and this tilts the upper body backwards slightly.  Actively pulling the shoulders and elbows back  behind the ears at least in the initial part makes the pull from very bottom much easier, it also feels like initiating a behind neck pull down.

 

If I try to keep shoulders and elbows forward at the very bottom, I feel pain in the front part of my right shoulder.  To be honest, this pain only happens when pulling in this bottom position but I investigated further and found I have some sort of strain on my right shoulder when it is in a very disadvantaged position (pulling with straight arm from behind the head to front for example), making this shoulder quite weak and unable to exert a good amount of force in this weak position.  This is not present on my left side, so something I need to look at (although I never noticed it before this exercise and it has not bothered me in any other exercise).

Shaolintobbe

I got some pain in left shoulder after doing these, will try the tips though, what about doing it with 1/2 L-sit? I hope the pain will go away until next training.