This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Side lever on a single bar/pole ?

Started by Dan Jeong, January 15, 2014 · 3 Replies · 255 Views

Dan Jeong

I can do a few seconds holds on stall bars, but I am having a lot of trouble to attempt this on a pole because I cannot push as hard as I would like to. Is this something that I just need to get used to, or do I need to get stronger? Any tips on doing a side lever on a pole?

Joshua Slocum

The grip is a bit different - it may take some time to get used to. But it's not a fundamentally different move so if you can do it in stall bars you should be able to do it on a pole.

Helander

The material and width of the pole affect a lot your ability to hold it. A pole too wide is practically impossible to grip, and being too thin also lessens your ability to generate force. On stall bars you can get a decent grip almost regardless of the materials due to the horizontal grip.

 

Also on a pole your body begins to rotate a lot more easily than on stall bars with a slightest change in the grip during a hold. You need to learn to place your hands so that you get a kind of corkscrew effect similar to when dead lifting with a mixed grip, which makes your grip tighter as more resistance is added to the bar.

 

You could try buying some serious grade grip-stuff like what handball players use, some kind of synthetic resin in a liquid form (string players use resin on their bows to create friction between the bow and strings). This stuff is really superior to gym chalk when you need a good grip. The downside is that it's hard to get off your hands!

ausswe

Master Side lever in foundation and I'd be surprised if a pole wasn't easy for you then.