This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question About Starting Program

Started by Nick Carter, January 13, 2014 · 8 Replies · 292 Views

Nick Carter

Hi guys,

 

My name is Nick Carter and came across this program about a year and a half ago and am very interested in getting started. 

 

Maybe its part of my conditioning in being a weight lifter since I was 12 but I'm fearful of losing mass on my body. Now I don't need to be the biggest guy in the world, I've read Coach Sumner's article on t-nation talking about leverage, force production and body weight. The concepts all make sense to me. But I'm still apprehensive to stop doing the weight training that has given me good results. I'm by no means the biggest guy in the gym (not by a long shot, nor do I particularly care) but I do care about aesthetic appearance. Weight training has given me good results:

 

I'm 23 now

 

I've deadlift 390 at 160lbs as well as a bench press of 230 at the same weight. I'm fearful I will lose the mass that I have if I give up weight training for gymnastics training.

 

To me getting started with this is more than just aesthetic appearance, its also about conditioning myself for my rock climbing endevors as well as integrating a resistance routine with yoga that I love so much. I found a hard time trying to do yoga with weight lifting. I know yoga and gymnastics compliment each other.

 

I'm willing to give up weight training for gymnastics I would just like to know I won't become a dude with little size (I'm not talking body builder size either, that doesn't interest me).

 

Thanks everybody :)

 

 

LateStarter@46

You won't become a dude with little size. Gymnastic training will sculpt your body in a natural aesthetically pleasing way. You'll also be naturally stronger - by that I mean that your strength will be generally useful instead of specific to a particular gym exercise. I hope that made sense.

Joshua Slocum

No, you will not lose mass. There's nothing magical about weights that causes you to grow bigger muscles than through bodyweight training. Do an image search for "gymnastics rings" and tell me if you see anyone with "little size". 

KingJR

Nah dude, I've stopped training with weights and have trained exclusively with GB for 2 years and my body's actually improved aesthetically.

Nick Carter

Thanks everybody. I will keep you updated. I am going to get the starter kit. 

Moath Rasheed

plz i need a a training schedule for the foundation one that cover all the excercises in the book for 12 weeks as im having a hard time understanding as my english not very well. as a beginner ill start with FL/PE1 , FL/PE1>IM . BUT WHEN IM SUPPOUSE TO DO THE REST OF EXCERCISES AS A FL/PE2...FL/PE3...? 

Joshua Slocum

You do only do FL/PE2 *after* you've mastered FL/PE1. So you're only ever working on seven skills at any given point in time: one from each progression. 

Moath Rasheed

thank u bro .. is there a break between FL/P1 AND FL/PE1>IM or i do them all in one set without a break?

gohei_
Moath Rasheed said:

thank u bro .. is there a break between FL/P1 AND FL/PE1>IM or i do them all in one set without a break?

No rest at all. The iM is the rest. So it's FL/PE1 > iM >FL/PE1 > iM > FL/PE1 > iM , with no rest inbetween. Have fun  :D