Pseudo Planche Pushup Form Check

Started by DieKatze, January 12, 2014 · 21 Replies · 4,848 Views

DieKatze

hi guys, i´m struggling a bit with the correct way to perform PPPs because there are just so many factors coming into play with them. today i filmed 5 sets and i would really appreciate some critique on my form. the thing i notice is i don´t always keep my protraction all the way and i tend to close my hips a bit while coming up. and - as usual - the need more lean.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0kqkintLlc

 

from my understanding the third (the one with the hot pant look   B-) ) and fourth set should be the best.

thecolin

The first major point is that you need to put the top of your foot flat on the floor, not the toes.

Rayne-William

Don't worry about the forward lean. You can get more forward lean by turning your hand so that you fingers are pointing the side. Focus more on your body positioning.

DieKatze
thecolin said:

The first major point is that you need to put the top of your foot flat on the floor, not the toes.

 

is this really that important? what does this achieve?

Matteo.Za

^  I felt more upper body's isolation, but maybe I had the wrong sensations?

thecolin
DieKatze said:

is this really that important? what does this achieve?

 

In my experience it removes a point of stability and prevents you from pulling back with your feet when you brain starts screaming "Help, I'm going to fall on my face!". It helps you commit to trying to lean.

 

I train with socks on a smooth surface. Like that, your feet will tend to want to slide around. You need to learn to keep them still, maintain your lean and control your weight with just your arms. Usually the problem is that the feet slide backwards during the decent, meaning you aren't maintaining the lean through the movement. It required more strength and control and will benefit you in the long run.

Matteo.Za

I find this exercise harder than dips honestly (more anterior deltoid involvement for me, which I always lacked of).

I could do sets of 8+ dips but only 4-5 strenuous reps of pppu

DieKatze
Zach Armijo said:

I'm surprised no one commenting on the rapid ascent. Slow it down some man and control it. Think about corkscrewing your hands outwards(while still stationary) to get a solid lat engagement and although minor, work maintaining the lean through the whole movement, especially during the ascent.

i guess the rapid ascent is a relict of my powerlifting days. i will try to slow it down and incorporate the other hints. thank you guys! i will keep you updated.

B1214N
thecolin said:

I train with socks on a smooth surface. Like that, your feet will tend to want to slide around. You need to learn to keep them still, maintain your lean and control your weight with just your arms. Usually the problem is that the feet slide backwards during the decent, meaning you aren't maintaining the lean through the movement. It required more strength and control and will benefit you in the long run.

This is a common misconception. The truth is that the feet will have to slide back a bit during the decent to maintain the same amount of lean. If you are going up and down with the feet kept stationary such as with feet against wall, then you are actually losing the lean during the ascent. Now I will actually advise to keep the feet from sliding/moving so as to make the exercise more challenging.

thecolin
B1214N said:

This is a common misconception. The truth is that the feet will have to slide back a bit during the decent to maintain the same amount of lean.

 

This makes no sense to me. If your feet move back while maintaining a straight body, your body is moving back and you're losing lean.

Helander
thecolin said:

This makes no sense to me. If your feet move back while maintaining a straight body, your body is moving back and you're losing lean.

True.

Cody
thecolin said:

This makes no sense to me. If your feet move back while maintaining a straight body, your body is moving back and you're losing lean.

Well, you also have to keep in mind that you change body positions at the top and bottom.

The top is more hollow so your body is shorter and the bottom is straighter so your body is longer. That's why your feet slide backwards when going down and forwards when pushing up.

B1214N
thecolin said:

This makes no sense to me. If your feet move back while maintaining a straight body, your body is moving back and you're losing lean.

You have to realize that the angle between the floor and your legs changes when you go up and down. When you are at the bottom of a PPP you are horizontal or almost horizontal, but at the top you are even less horizontal so your body is shorter at the top in terms of horizontal distance/length. You can see that if your feet doesn't slide during a PPP then your head doesn't go up and down in a straight vertical line.

thecolin
B1214N said:

...then your head doesn't go up and down in a straight vertical line.

 

Nor should it, it's not a normal push up. Your head should actually move forward very slightly.

 

If you imagine your body as a straight line moving around an axis, your head should naturally follow a very slight arc.

 fan+rafter+explanation+3.jpg

B1214N

Correct, which means you are not maintaining the same amount of lean throughout unless your feet move.

Prometheus

What solves all of this is just watching the F1 video of PPPU. The head does not stay in a vertical line.

thecolin
Prometheus said:

What solves all of this is just watching the F1 video of PPPU. The head does not stay in a vertical line.

Pretty much. The important thing is not to lose the lean, I don't think there's anything wrong with leaning a bit more.

B1214N
Prometheus said:

What solves all of this is just watching the F1 video of PPPU. The head does not stay in a vertical line.

Yes, and that shows that he is not maintaining the same amount of lean.

 

thecolin said:

Pretty much. The important thing is not to lose the lean, I don't think there's anything wrong with leaning a bit more.

I never said that there was anything wrong with leaning more; in fact I advised to keep the feet still. I just said that not sliding your feet in a PPP does not mean you are maintaining the same amount of lean in contrast to what many here believe. So I hope you understand what I meant now.  :)

thecolin
B1214N said:

Yes, and that shows that he is not maintaining the same amount of lean.

 

I never said that there was anything wrong with leaning more; in fact I advised to keep the feet still. I just said that not sliding your feet in a PPP does not mean you are maintaining the same amount of lean in contrast to what many here believe. So I hope you understand what I meant now.  :)

 

:facepalm:

B1214N
thecolin said:

:facepalm:

Why the reaction?

thecolin
B1214N said:

Why the reaction?

 

Because we were apparently debating pointless semantics, when fundamentally we agree. But internet forums specialize in pointless semantics, so no hard feelings.  ;)

B1214N
thecolin said:

Because we were apparently debating pointless semantics, when fundamentally we agree. But internet forums specialize in pointless semantics, so no hard feelings.  ;)

I agree and disagree. I don't feel that it's completely pointless because I remember seeing advice given in PPP topics to keep the feet from moving while there were also advice there to have the head touching a wall throughout the rep to make sure the lean was the same throughout (which is not possible without feet moving back and forth). I just wanted to point out a misconception and didn't mean to start an argument.