Weight of Rings?

Started by mrpraktic, January 10, 2014 · 11 Replies · 2,974 Views

mrpraktic

Can anyone tell me what is standard weight of gymnastic rings? I found dimensions on google, but I can't find weight.

I am asking this because of my recent experience. Gymnastic rings are very expensive in my country, and I am student and it took me around one year to buy wooden gymnastic rings. In meantime I asked few guys that make steel furniture to make me rings from steel. They simply folded steel pipe in circle and that steel pipes were my gymnastic rings for last year. They were good, but they were heavy. 1.8kg each. Recently I bought wooden rings and when I tried them, I couldn't hold support position without shaking like junkie :)

So obviously, heavier rings makes thing easier.

Daniel Burnham

The difference is not that much. Are you sure the straps weren't a different length. I don't think there is a standard weight. This varies depending on the material.

Bipocni
mrpraktic said:

So obviously, heavier rings makes thing easier.

Makes sense.  I haven't weighted my rings but I think they would be half that at maximum.

mrpraktic

Straps are same length as before. All available rings on internet and in stores are pvc and wood. And they weight is approximately same. There are only few steel rings available. One of them is http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rings.php They weight 7lbs (3.1kg). Anybody has the opportunity to try these and compere them with wood/pvc?

Mine were custom made from full (not hollow) steel pipe. They were even heavier that these above.

 

The difference is not that much.

Maybe it's just me :)

bigB

I have some steel rings, I was always worried I'd chip a tooth on them.

My favorite is wood, but the PVC work well with tennis grip tape.

Bipocni
bigB said:

I have some steel rings, I was always worried I'd chip a tooth on them.

How often do you really hit yourself in the face with your rings?

bigB
Bipocni said:

How often do you really hit yourself in the face with your rings?

 

I have rings setup all around my house at different heights. Some at face height.

 

I never hit myself in the face, but it was something I thought about.

The steel ones would definitely crack a tooth.

strme

for making good wood rings(for static exercises),you dont need much.  i did it with buying only glue. tolls i was using was only knive. and material i find somebody throw away..was 6mm tick plywood. weight of the rings you can calculate yourself..  you need to calculate volume of  ring..and then check weight of material they are made of..  voila :D  

Bipocni
strme said:

for making good wood rings(for static exercises),you dont need much.  i did it with buying only glue. tolls i was using was only knive. and material i find somebody throw away..was 6mm tick plywood. weight of the rings you can calculate yourself..  you need to calculate volume of  ring..and then check weight of material they are made of..  voila :D

If you have a really big piece of wood, you don't need the glue...

strme

yes but than is not that strong as sandvich construction 

Bipocni

Someone missed the joke there....

strme

ahhhaaaa  sorry..here is very serious part of my life :D