This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090324

Started by Coach Sommer, March 24, 2009 · 6 Replies · 1,185 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090324.jpg

Complete four rounds:

10 depth jumps

30 seconds weighted jumping deck squats

30m sled/tire sprints

Finish with 2x60 seconds seated toe point stretch.

notes:

1) Depth Jumps - jump off an object 3’-10’ high (smile), bending the knees but not allowing the feet to move or step upon landing. If in doubt go lower rather than higher and remember to BEND the knees upon landing!

2) Add the appropriate weight to make the deck squats challenging for the entire 30 seconds. Perform the deck squats as explosively as possible.

3) The sled should be heavy enough to be challenging, but not heavy enough to reduce you to a struggling walk.

4) Rest 20 seconds between exercises.

5) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

M_L_T@Hotmail.com

Coach, forum members,

I find that the hardest part of the deck squat is rolling back onto my feet in the first place. Many times I get close to it but end up crashing backwards 2 out of 3 times

I find them much easier when I weight the exercise with an olympic plate- this pulls me up onto my feet in a nice fluid way before an explosive jump if I hold it out in front of me.

Is this indicative of a weakness or common problem that others have come across and is it considered 'cheating' to be using the weight plate to assist the roll in this way?

Thanks for any help and direction

Mark

Blairbob

I think is exactly why a weight vest is more efficient than a weight plate. Unfortunately, they are bloody expensive.

Coach Sommer

Weighted deck squats contain a substantial lower back strength element that is more pronounced than that of regular squat variations. As you have already discovered, the arc of movement where the body is rolling onto the feet happens to be the section where the leverage disadvantage for the lower back is the most pronounced. This section of the movement will determine the appropriate amount of weight to use for your weighted deck squats; not how much weight the legs are able to jump with.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

I think I need to invest in a weight vest because otherwise I'd rather just do weighted BS or FS for lower back work.

10 depth jumps 6-7 feet. ( required me to build some steps up to it ).

About 10 jumping deck squats with 18pd bar.

2x15m sled sprints with big box.

I'll consider my squat day of the week and DL on Thursday.

At home:

3 rounds of (5m rest time)

2 cross lower down and pullout with cross trainers ( fail on rep 2 in last 2 rounds )

1 lower down to cross and hold for 5s

One Arm Chin Up negative for about 7s using opposite hand fingers on bar as assistance.

2.5 x 50lb PB dips ( had to raise DB's from bottom of dip to support ) fail on last rep of round 3.

Didn't really do much upper body work today except some HS stuff.

Nobodystopsdblob

Complete four rounds:

10 depth jumps 2 feet high holding dumbell 25lbs and then 2 25lbs for last 3

30 seconds weighted jumping deck squats 50 lbs for 5 reps

30m sled/tire sprints skipped

Finish with 2x60 seconds seated toe point stretch

Five rounds for max reps of:

Body weight bench press 210lbs 8 7 5 5 6

Pull-ups 10 8 8 8 8

Blairbob

I've been thinking once I setup a certain height in the depth jumps, it would be simpler to just start adding weight instead. I'm a bit leery of allowing the boys/kids to start doing really big depth jumps even when they pass off each level I make progressively with perfect or near perfect form. I'm just waiting for an ankle or knee to blow. Also, it gets to be a real big pain to set up.