This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to minimize volume in Foundation work

Started by Patrick Smith, January 10, 2014 · 4 Replies · 388 Views

Patrick Smith

Hey,

 

I was working a nighttime seasonal job at a warehouse shipping center (UPS) and apparently thanks to my GST and training I was able to work so well that I've been offered a much better paying and permanent position with better hours! The job is basically about 30 hours a week (Mon-Fri) of pretty intense and fast paced labor, so I'm thinking of doing an F7 session on Saturday, H1 on Sunday, and one or two light Foundation sessions throughout the week with daily stretching.

 

So is there any way to minimize the volume of Foundation work and maintain progress? I'm not concerned with making rapid progress because my job is very physically demanding and that's going to hold me back a bit, but I think aiming for slow steady progress is reasonable.

 

Any suggestions?

Bipocni

I blew out the tendons in my arms with a manual labour job.  Focus on the work first, and then worry about including Foundation after.

 

If, after a couple weeks, you find you aren't very sore, then by all means continue the program as written.  One of the old time strongmen (I forget which one) used to workout after working all day at a steel foundry, so it's definitely possible.

Murray Truelove

+1 to the above. 

 

You can always work harder later on but an injury could set you back months and risk your job. After a few weeks try adding some foundation work, but there's no need to jump to doing F1(7) straight away.

Patrick Smith

I definitely agree with you guys. I'll be cautious with incorporating training into my schedule.

 

I'll say one thing though: I can see how gymnasts who spend a great deal of time practicing their movements daily can be so lean and muscular despite a crap diet. My diet has been quite a bit less than perfect for the last month or so and holy crap, bf loss and sick frame brah. :P But it seriously makes sense now.

Rob SFO

If it was me I would focus on the Mobility work while the physical job ramps up.  Then, as others have said, once you feel you are ready for it, start incorporating the PEs/SEs as appropriate.