This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tendon prep, beside bicep tendon

Started by RatioFitness, January 10, 2014 · 6 Replies · 207 Views

RatioFitness

Coach's biceps tendon prep is well known.

 

However, I was curious if there is anything in the Foundation Series which is in the same vein of Coach's bicep tendon prep, but only for other joints. 

 

The principle seems to be that you are putting a stretch on the tendons/muscles at the joint and at the same time it takes strength to hold yourself in the position.

 

I have the whole series, but I'm not sure if anything counts for what I'm asking. 

 

What do you think?

Keilani Gutierrez

well, when you think about it, the iM's + PE's and the way they mesh in a matrix really come down to 4 adv ring holds, don't they? (Cross, Maltese, Inv Cross, Victorian)

 

first it's like you adress a zillion things and get that out of the way, to then start doing the real work, or so it seems to my eyes

-MR

I always assumed the wrist series in H1 worked similarly for the wrist joint, and that the various IMs and PEs for SLS addressed the lower limb joints. 

 

Also, by the time you get to the front lever, you'll be able to use your arms and lats in ways that would have been impossible without injury before. I remember that after working up to a 1 minute stagged front lever after 7 months of greasing the groove (for a total time under tension of 1 minute per day), I was suddenly able to climb a campus board and climb overhanging ladders using only my arms with relative ease compared to climbers that were much better than me. 

 

With respect to the ability to climb a campus board, keep in mind that I often did my FL work off door frames to also work on my finger tendon strength.

Keilani Gutierrez
-MR said:

 

 

With respect to the ability to climb a campus board, keep in mind that I often did my FL work off door frames to also work on my finger tendon strength.

damn. what do you use over your door frame to hold for the FL stuff?

-MR

Oh sorry Keilani, that was back when I used to live at my parents' house. They have a > 100 year old house with very thick hardwood door frames that can hold anything. They're probably half an inch thick, so I would just grab on and do the hold. The only bitch was that the edges were a hard 90 degrees, so they would dig into my fingers a little, though the angle I got from the front lever made it a little easier than if I were in a dead hang. If I tried it on regular door frames, I would probably have ripped them off the wall.

 

I haven't climbed in about 4-5 years, so I don't think my tendons would be able to handle the load now. I've been considering getting back into climbing, so for the past month, I've been following my RC progressions by hanging off my rock rings following the 60 second progression from the Foundation series. I'll aim for mastery on the easiest hold, and then move on until I can hold for 5 x 60 seconds on the smallest hold which should be similar to the door frames I used to use to keep my fingers strong.

RatioFitness
-MR said:

I always assumed the wrist series in H1 worked similarly for the wrist joint, and that the various IMs and PEs for SLS addressed the lower limb joints. 

 

Also, by the time you get to the front lever, you'll be able to use your arms and lats in ways that would have been impossible without injury before. I remember that after working up to a 1 minute stagged front lever after 7 months of greasing the groove (for a total time under tension of 1 minute per day), I was suddenly able to climb a campus board and climb overhanging ladders using only my arms with relative ease compared to climbers that were much better than me. 

 

With respect to the ability to climb a campus board, keep in mind that I often did my FL work off door frames to also work on my finger tendon strength.

I don't have the H Series, but improving tendon strength seems to be accomplished by a few different means, according to a quick search online. 

 

(1) Eccentrics

(2) Heavy partials

(3) Supramaximal holds/supports

(4) Very high reps

 

I would be curious if any of this has an evidence basis. 

 

Then you have Coach's method (5) hold a joint in a stretched position while at the same time it requires strength to hold the position

 

I've also seen ancient Chinese methods that purport to be about tendon strengthening, called Yi Jin Jing. 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIg0_NK1OoI

Alan Tseng

Wut is coachs bicep tendon series