This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check pushups, incline pushups, plank

Started by edna, January 10, 2014 · 3 Replies · 134 Views

edna

Hi guys,

 

It would be much appreciated if I can receive some feedback. I have my new year's resolutions in place and will be doing what I need to do to achieve mastery. 

 

 

Currently working 4x9 pushups (stalled there - but a bit wary of forearm pain also). I think I should probably go back to week 1. I am hoping for some cues to really tidy up my form here.

 

 

I had 'mastered' incline pushups in terms of reps/sets, but wonder if I will be better served going back to them than continuing pushups.

 

 

I am at about 5x60s plank, though not with this form and a little bit of rest. So I was thinking of going back to either week 5 or so.

 

I am pretty clueless about what my biggest problems are and not very self-aware, also in life come to think of it ;). My shoulders look hunchy and my neck forward. To combat this I think 'shoulders down' and neck 'long and straight'.

 

Thanks

edna

 

ps I broke my right clavicle and therefore the right side is about 2 cm shorter, which causes more of that hunching I guess.

Joakim Anderson

I think your incline pushups look good.

 

In your normal pushups you're not going all the way down to the floor with your chest (read the focus points for the exercise).

 

The plank looks okay. Be sure to squeeze your glutes so you don't lose the hollow body shape. How are your scapular shrugs/PE1? You could record yourself doing them and pay attention to how well you maintain your body position there. I found that spending extra time on them gave me more plank strength than working planks themselves. I timed myself so I did 15 reps in one minute, and when I could do that x5, the next to PE's were mastered aswell.

Jure Rakuljic

Hi 

 

Im currently working on incline pushups doing 5x9, i was trying for  fun too see if i could do any pushups at all on my day off and did 8 with ease and perfect form . My advise is try too lower the height when doing inclined pushups you will see how mutch harder it will be, but that will carry on and make pe2 regular pushups much easier.

TANSTAAFL
Jure Rakuljic said:

Hi 

 

Im currently working on incline pushups doing 5x9, i was trying for  fun too see if i could do any pushups at all on my day off and did 8 with ease and perfect form . My advise is try too lower the height when doing inclined pushups you will see how mutch harder it will be, but that will carry on and make pe2 regular pushups much easier.

Agreed. There are many around here who have to put in extra mini progressions for several different exercises. I think this might be just the ticket for you.

 

You could also stay where you are and take a longer time upping reps/repeating microcycles. Both approaches work, some just respond better to one or the other, but both will get you where you need to go. They may even take the same amount of total time spent.