First of all I just want to say what a successs this site is!! Thanks coach!
Now how would you recomend progression for a handstand on the rings?
Started by Mats Trane, February 27, 2008 · 6 Replies · 5,320 Views
First of all I just want to say what a successs this site is!! Thanks coach!
Now how would you recomend progression for a handstand on the rings?
Did you master a normal handstand? Also you need to really work the hollow body position as well, for rings a little tip would be to wrap your legs around the webbing and try that and see how it works for you, always have your elbows locked and make sure you work your bails out of the handstand position I've seen some people hurt themselves trying to bail out of a handstand.
One day I kicked up and found myself for a split second in perfect balance. I agree Kbryk, tension is the name of the game... at least at the beginning.
Handstand on wall, stomach to wall. Toes should wiggle on wall or tap. Butt squeezed, gut sucked in ( belly button to center ) legs tight, shoulders in ears.
hold for anywhere from 60s ( bare minimum ) to 300s.
Handstand on floor:
be able to hold for 20-60s on floor static
be able to walk in handstand forward/backward for 100 feet. basic ability to turn in handstand ( pirouette )
handstand on parallettes for 30s to 1m
on rings:
mastery of basic support for 1-2m
support forward roll to L hang
support to L, press to shoulderstand, roll out
support to L, press to shouldestand, come back to L
shoulderstand, climb up straps with legs, lock out for 20s-1m
eventually instead of having legs on outside of straps/cables place legs on the inside.
from there, start working on bringing them together and bail to a soft surface, forward or backward or grab cables with legs
spot helps a lot! keep working on it more.
Wow, nice progression chart Blair! I am definitely going to do that.
Quick question: Does anyone else find handstands a lot easier on paralettes? Is that normal?
If you do them correctly on paralettes they are tougher, make sure to shrug your shoulders all the way out, same with rings, you have to shrug your shoulders all the way out and then stick the hollow position, that's why they are so difficult on rings.
But yes I guess they can be easier if you stick it, same goes for tuck planches, they seem easier on parallettes.
Balancing on parallettes is a bit different since you use the wrist mostly ( and the shoulder ) and not the palm and fingers to balance it out.
In general, I've seen a lot of gymnasts hold a handstand on parallettes for longer than on floor.
As for planching on floor vs parallettes, dunno. Not nearly as much of a difference compared to HS.