This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rocks - How fast/long

Started by Adam R. Durst, January 8, 2014 · 14 Replies · 443 Views

Adam R. Durst

I've been doing hollow body rock and just started Arch body rocks.

Untill I hit the full hollow body and now the arch...the speed hasn't worried me too much.

But now I'm keen to move on...especially with the arch bodies! UNPLEASENT!

I can rock really slow and almost hang at each extreme...or keep the momentum fast.

At the moment my 60 hollow bodies, take about 2minutes to complete...too slow? I can do one set of 60...then 4 sets of 30 currently.

How long does a set take you?

Murray Truelove

Takes me about 2 second per rep, I use a metronome to keep tempo. 60r will take 2 minutes this way.

 

HBR - I have been improving nicely but now on 48r I'm suffering. Going to be on these for a while. I enjoy them. 

 

ABR - Hate these; just uncomfortable. 

Adam R. Durst

Ok...thanks...doing them right.

I like the HBRs too...has made huge improvements in my core strength. Astounding really.

Only thing that's going to get me through the ABR pain, is the belief they will have the same transformational effect.

Joakim Anderson

I used to do about 2 seconds per rep for FL rocks but I've sped them up. It takes a few sessions to combine good form and good speed. Now doing 45 reps in just under a minute.

 

If you time the video for FL/PE2 you see he does 10 reps in about 13 seconds. PE4 is 5 reps in 6-7 seconds. PE6 is 10 reps in 14-15 seconds.

Adam R. Durst

Might try the faster speed...I know I can do the HBRs faster, without compromising my form.

Will be interesting. Is the slow but longer harder or the faster? Endurance vs sharper changes in direction.

I'll report back tomorrow ;)

emilianop

I always thought the point of rocks was to go for the fast option.

My understanding is that it's supposed to get tougher from the added pressure put on your body by the change in velocity, kind of the same way doing Swinging Support Holds on rings is trickier than just holds.

 

I see it as a way to "increase the intensity while keeping the same stance"

MT Nordic

faster is definitely easier...i did these basically 1 second forward, 1 second back, so 2 seconds overall.  It was probably a little less because for 60 of them it took about 1:45.  If you go faster, there's less time under tension, and they are quite a bit easier, not to mention the form is more prone to get sloppy.  Take heart! though, arch ups will be a breeze after you complete these.

wheezer

Personally, I find faster rocks more intense for my core.

 

With the slow rock, I feel like I get a micro-rest in between each repetition. But when I rock faster, it's just constant tension without respite, and by the end of the last set the burn is incredible.

Jon Douglas

For full HBH, holding a dowel above the head really helps me get the shape and a very smooth rocking motion.

emilianop
MT Nordic said:

 If you go faster, there's less time under tension, and they are quite a bit easier, not to mention the form is more prone to get sloppy.

I would argue that in this case they're easier BECAUSE the form gets sloppy.

William

hm...after reading this...what counts as one rep? is one rep moving down the front, than the legs or is one rep down to one side? second rep than down to the other side?

 

because of your long times like two minutes...i thought one rep is kipping in one direction...

howens

One rep is down and back. So either each time the head is down or each time the feet are down.

Joakim Anderson

Yep, one rep is back and forth.

William

thanks! hm, ok so the same is for FL rocks, right? Damned, have to start everything from first circle...

Joakim Anderson

Yes, same for FL rocks.