Rotator cuffs pain

Started by Yaad Mohammad, January 7, 2014 · 12 Replies · 3,207 Views

Yaad Mohammad

Hello guys,

Ever since I started training OAFL, I have this sharp pain in my rotator cuffs which prevents me from continuing my training when it comes to the OAFL or any other one arm hanging move which requires scapula retraction. SL's also hurt in some angles and I just can't get recovered from this pain.

Are there any ways to strengthen my rotator cuffs so I can continue my training? I tried one arm hanging l-sits but as soon as I slightly retract my scapula the unbearable sharp pain is there again.

Hope you guys can help me! Thanks in advance.

Daniel Burnham

The shoulder girdle prep in Foundation is probably the best bet.  Especially some of the stuff from the hollowback press and rope climb.  The upcoming rings course will also address this but you should make sure you are able to do the prep outline in foundation one.

 

As far as some general stuff to get you started:  If you are feeling sharp pain immediately back off and rest for at least a week before you attempt a similar motion again.  Do hanging shrugs, and a lot of rotator cuff band work.  Internal, external, abduction, pretty much any motion you can think of should be done with the bands.  This is standard shoulder rehab work and you should be able to find a list of the exercises online.

Ravn

Also, see if you can determine which of the four rotator cuff muscles gives you pain, that makes understanding the injury and its rehab much clearer.

Alessandro Mainente

If you pain is retraction , the injury it's not concerned with external rotator. the cuff means all the muscles that pull externally and down the arms in the socket. all the muscles that pull the scapula back are retractor. in your case the problem is the rhomboid muscle. both lack of mobility.What you really need are all the mobility of Foundation 2-3-4. you are building up some chronic pain.

Yaad Mohammad
alex87 said:

If you pain is retraction , the injury it's not concerned with external rotator. the cuff means all the muscles that pull externally and down the arms in the socket. all the muscles that pull the scapula back are retractor. in your case the problem is the rhomboid muscle. both lack of mobility.What you really need are all the mobility of Foundation 2-3-4. you are building up some chronic pain.

I don't think it's thw rhomboid muscle, I looked up some stretches and it wasn't the correct muscle. I feel the pain when I have my arms straight out on the sides of me and have a 90 degrees angle between my biceps and forearms and then jerk my arms backwards and forwards.

Alessandro Mainente

ok that's different, i said that since you mentioned the retractions.  talking about your test, is supraspinatus.

Yaad Mohammad
alex87 said:

ok that's different, i said that since you mentioned the retractions.  talking about your test, is supraspinatus.

I that is it, I only feel it when doing one arm retraction moves, not two arms, except for l-sit pull-ups.

Alessandro Mainente

rest with the painful movements, you will find a great difference in pain after 3-5 days.

Yaad Mohammad
alex87 said:

rest with the painful movements, you will find a great difference in pain after 3-5 days.

I've rest for a month and everytime I start again with one arm training I injury it again

Alessandro Mainente

the problem it's chronic, it can take more then 2-3 months.

Christoph

Why don't you simply stop all one arm training?

Yaad Mohammad
Christoph said:

Why don't you simply stop all one arm training?

One does not simply stop training for a skill they want

Joshua Slocum
Yaad Mohammad said:

One does not simply stop training for a skill they want

If you have a chronic injury, then yes you do.