This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Save Gymnastics: Interview with Head Coach of Temple University Men's Gymnastics

Started by UltraMarathonMan, January 7, 2014 · 9 Replies · 3,524 Views

UltraMarathonMan
I'm new to the Gymnastic Bodies community (I'm a wrestler and grappler), I look forward to sticking around. I got a chance to do an interview with the head coach of Temple University men's gymnastics. The university recently announced that it will be eliminating the program. Here's an excerpt from the interview:

 


 

If you have a free moment, please go to www.templegymnastics.com to show your support by signing the petition.

Joakim Anderson

Sad to see. Would be interesting to see the opposing side's arguments in person. Hope the petition helps.

UltraMarathonMan
Joakim Anderson said:

Would be interesting to see the opposing side's arguments in person.

That's very often the complaint with these kinds of decisions, is that there is not an open dialogue between the coaches and the administration. There should be a publicly accessible discussion of both sides in any decision that affects so many elite level athletes. Many of these guys dedicated their whole life to the sport and are at the peak of their careers.

MT Nordic

Thanks for posting.  by the way, do you run ultras, ultramarathonman?

UltraMarathonMan
MT Nordic said:

Thanks for posting.  by the way, do you run ultras, ultramarathonman?

Good catch on the name. Not yet, but I'm fascinated by putting your body to the limit. For me right now, as a wrestler, that means shorter burst of intensity. For example, by goal for May 30, 2014 is to break the 5 minute mile mark. I'm 30 now, so I imagine as I get older, the more marathons I'll do. A 50+ mile ultra would have to be a stroke of madness for me, which as any athlete, I'm prone to ;-)

MT Nordic

Great. Keep it up. I run ultras, mostly 50k and 50 mile distance. Thought i might have found some company. One of my friends is a past wrestler and a big strong guy, but he tears up the 50-100 mile distance. Have fun.

Bipocni

Well, I signed it, but I have to wonder how much they validate international signatures...

bigB

Another victim of Title 9( 50% of athletic budget must go to female sports).

 

I'm a fan of the Title 9 in theory because I think women playing sports is fantastic, but since no college is going to drop their football program because of the revenues it generates, many fantastic men's sports are eliminated.

 

Men's Gymnastics, Wrestling, Volleyball, Rugby, Soccer, all are eliminated.

Whereas most of the male athletes walk on the teams and play for free.

 

Many of the female programs can't even get athletes unless they are offered a full scholarship.

 

It's a shame and will hurt our men's Olympic development programs.

bigB

One thing that I think might save many of the gymnastic programs would be to have gymnastics incorporated into the strength and conditioning programs.

 

Many of these schools spend fortunes training their athletes in Olympic and Power lifting.

 

I think in many sports I've been exposed too, gymnastics will provide superior levels of strength, tendon development and proprioception.

So by doing the work here, we may lead to a renaissance of Gymnastic Strength Training™.

Cole Dano

Perhaps that's part of Coach Sommer's secret plan ;)