This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand One Questions

Started by Hardy Evans, January 5, 2014 · 9 Replies · 360 Views

Hardy Evans

-Hi all

 

I just began H1, and I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping somebody could answer for me. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

 

1. Should I progress the wrist workouts directly inline with the the PE/SE progressions? I.e., if I could completed the week 11 workout of PE4 but not the PE4 wrist workouts, should I continue to PE5 for HS elements but continue on PE4 for the wrist workouts? Or must they all progress in line with each other? 

 

2. The course obviously requires the use of a weighted bar; what is the proper weight for the bar? I've been using a light barbell I have that only weighs about 5-10 pounds. Is this appropriate?

 

3. I fully completed the week 11 workout for PE3 (Forearm Headstand) but I'm not sure if what I did would be considered cheating. I had difficulty pressing up into the position, so I kicked up against a wall, and then pushed away from the wall and was able to hold 5x60s pretty easily doing it that way. Is this okay, or do I need to press into it without using any assistance?

 

It's a lot, I know, but I really appreciate the help! Thanks!

Joshua Slocum

1. Every progression is independent. The HS can be at a different level than the wrists, and the wrist exercises can be at different levels from each other.

 

2. 5-10# is sufficient for mastery purposes. Note that after you've mastered the mobility elements, it's worth continuing to do some of them. You can gradually increase the weight as you get stronger. On PE6 and PE7 in particular (weighted dislocates), Coach recommends working all the way up to 45#. 

 

3. As long as you weren't using the wall for balance, that's fine. 

Bipocni

Bear in mind learning how to kick up into a handstand is a skill you will need to master at some point.

Ravn
Joshua Slocum said:

2. 5-10# is sufficient for mastery purposes. Note that after you've mastered the mobility elements, it's worth continuing to do some of them. You can gradually increase the weight as you get stronger. On PE6 and PE7 in particular (weighted dislocates), Coach recommends working all the way up to 45#.

5-10 lbs, is that official? I've been meaning to build up to 25 lbs in pe2/im, but that'll take a long time, and H2 and the rings series awaits, so I've got to move forward.
Hardy Evans
Joshua Slocum said:

1. Every progression is independent. The HS can be at a different level than the wrists, and the wrist exercises can be at different levels from each other.

 

2. 5-10# is sufficient for mastery purposes. Note that after you've mastered the mobility elements, it's worth continuing to do some of them. You can gradually increase the weight as you get stronger. On PE6 and PE7 in particular (weighted dislocates), Coach recommends working all the way up to 45#. 

 

3. As long as you weren't using the wall for balance, that's fine. 

Thanks for the quick reply Joshua; that helps a lot.

 

 

Bipocni said:

Bear in mind learning how to kick up into a handstand is a skill you will need to master at some point.

I know, I'm working on getting into the forearm HeS position without the wall even as I move on. Thanks for the tip.

Keilani Gutierrez
Ravn said:

5-10 lbs, is that official? I've been meaning to build up to 25 lbs in pe2/im, but that'll take a long time, and H2 and the rings series awaits, so I've got to move forward.

not to say one set in the warm up can't be progressively loaded, ya know? going for the five sets isn't really necesary after you've mastered it, unless you really need it. Adriano had a similar experience with this when he worked on iM2, he stopped working iM1 and he had to build it upto the level he had it before. 

 

I've been doing iM1/3 as warm up before doing iM2 :) one or two sets, just to get me going and if you feel you need a bit more, do one or two more, Jon says it's good for warming up for bridging, i haven't been going backwards too much lately but i do form checks to see if mobility is stagnating or improving.

 

edit: meant to say that i do iM1/3 as warm up before my H1 or F1 workouts. not during the WOD per ce, the programming stays as it is (PE then designated iM)

Joshua Slocum
Ravn said:

5-10 lbs, is that official? I've been meaning to build up to 25 lbs in pe2/im, but that'll take a long time, and H2 and the rings series awaits, so I've got to move forward.

Yes, it is. Note that after mastierng the PE's, it's still a good idea to continue working them, e.g. in your warmup. Coach recommends working up to ~45# on PE6 and PE7, for example. 

Ravn

Hi K,

I've been doing six sets of im1 as warm-up to im2 for ages :-)

Six sets because I pair im1 with three sets of pike flex pulls and three sets of german hangs.

Keilani Gutierrez
Ravn said:

Hi K,

I've been doing six sets of im1 as warm-up to im2 for ages :-)

Six sets because I pair im1 with three sets of pike flex pulls and three sets of german hangs.

I think i must have misunderstood the nature of your post xD #derp

Ravn
Joshua Slocum said:

Yes, it is. Note that after mastierng the PE's, it's still a good idea to continue working them, e.g. in your warmup. Coach recommends working up to ~45# on PE6 and PE7, for example.

Thanks.

I'll definitely keep working the earlier pe's. My main concern with H1 is the dislocates, which my labrum-repaired left shoulder doesn't like one bit, but that's a different subject.