This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A Warning about Testing Yourself

Started by azey47, January 5, 2014 · 3 Replies · 334 Views

azey47

Hey Guys,

 

Just a heads up to beginners... do NOT push yourself testing the particular skills you are training to eventually master (Front Lever, Planche, etc.), or you may end up with injuries that you regret.

 

I'm currently dieting to reduce my weight from 173 to 160lbs (I'm already at 164), and I got excited at my improving strength:weight ratio, and tested my straddle planche. Of course I ended up straining a muscle/tendon in my forearm. For reference, I'm still on the Planche Lean phase of training in F1.

 

Thankfully my injury is not serious, and shouldn't interfere with F1 and H1 training - but it certainly reminded me of Coach's mantra "Make Haste Slowly". I think at this point, I won't do any gymnastic training other than F1 and H1. The only stuff I'm willing to do extra work on is handstands throughout the day, and previously "mastered" (by Coach's standards) elements.

 

Good luck. I hope some of you heed my warning and prevent future problems!

 

Andrew

PrimalMove

Same thing happened to me.

I'm currently going from 183 to 165, and strained my bicep/elbows with tucked planch and straddled back levers. I'm also on planche leans.

Adriano Augusto

This happened to me many times in the past and last one was at the beginning of 2013. I strain my left wrist and got injured doing straddle L progression. Now, I don't have any injury since I started to following F1/H1 in February, and my wrist is stronger/flexible than ever. Almost a year without any type of serious injury.

 

In the gym everybody are f*** up with injuries. An injury don't let you go to the fullest at every workout, and if proper rehab/prehab is doesn't added, the mess is even worst. 

 

I've learned too many lessons from Coach Sommer, but maybe the most important is: No brain, no gain! 

 

You've to know the barrier between discomfort and sharp pain, between pushing yourself and breaking yourself... as Coach stated itself: you'll learn it with experience.

 

I'm truly grateful for this no-injury path, and because of that I do my best at every workout. 

 

Thanks family. Thanks Coach!

LateStarter@46

Thanks for the heads up Andrew - it has been very tempting to try and do the end moves but your warning and others' stop me.

 

[i must admit though, that I pretend to do a manna from time to time using a chair for support  :D - just to see how far away I am.]