This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lunges with slipping disks

Started by Robmob, January 3, 2014 · 11 Replies · 400 Views

Robmob

Hello everybody,

I have been doing my SLS at F2 mastery like a good trainee, even supplementing lunges and leg extensions for some extra leg work (trying to get into bodybuilding) however I've never been allowed to do any weighted squats due to my back, my discs between L1-L5 would slip within a couple of sets on little weight (40k), my physiotherapist explained to me how this was caused (but cant retell it so excuse me) and because of this I dont deadlift either. So seeing that the lunges are gonna get heavy (currently do them with 10 kilo weights in each hand) so holding the weight is a no go, and im not supposed to carry it on my shoulders, what should i do?

Thanks

Jon Douglas

I've been holding a bar in the rack position. Is this an option for you?

Robmob
Jon Douglas said:

I've been holding a bar in the rack position. Is this an option for you?

Seems like a difficult way to hold my bodyweight but I cant tell if its okay, ill need to ask my therapist but i doubt it would be

Jon Douglas
Robmob said:

Seems like a difficult way to hold my bodyweight but I cant tell if its okay, ill need to ask my therapist but i doubt it would be

I didn't say it was easy, but it works for me :)

Joshua Slocum

Perhaps you could find a belt that you can attach weights to? 

Robmob

Those are good suggestions and in a couple of days ill make sure if they are usable. Thanks

Robmob

In case anybody needs to know, yesterday I talked to my physiotherapist and he told me that if I need to use weight I should hold it on my traps (like a back squat) because when you have it forward in the rack position *I* have a tendency to fall forward slightly and this causes the slipping (why I cant squat/deadlift). 

Thanks to everybody who has answered ^^

Coach Sommer

Robmob,

 

Only proceed with the weighted work if your therapist feels that it will not cause further issues with your slipping discs.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Collins

How old is your disc injury? Have you had an MRI?

Discs don't slip they tear, bulge or herniate. It is better for your long term recover to not use the term slip as it creates a lot of fear in our mind about the injury. This fear will then stop you from doing the things that will eventually help you.

Lunging with dumbells is a lot less compression on the the disc than a weighted squat or deadlift. You should be able to build up to holding half your bodyweight in each hand easily. Unless your disc injury is needs surgery the disc will stabilise and can easily tolerate this load. I would add the weight slowly each 4 weeks, which will let your back adapt to the stress. Even as low as 2-5kg every 4 weeks. Your grip should be fine with all of the other exercises we do.

Robmob
Coach Sommer said:

Robmob,

 

Only proceed with the weighted work if your therapist feels that it will not cause further issues with your slipping discs.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

He said that it would be okay, so Ill proceed with it. Thanks for the concern

Robmob
Mark Collins said:

How old is your disc injury? Have you had an MRI?

Discs don't slip they tear, bulge or herniate. It is better for your long term recover to not use the term slip as it creates a lot of fear in our mind about the injury. This fear will then stop you from doing the things that will eventually help you.

Lunging with dumbells is a lot less compression on the the disc than a weighted squat or deadlift. You should be able to build up to holding half your bodyweight in each hand easily. Unless your disc injury is needs surgery the disc will stabilise and can easily tolerate this load. I would add the weight slowly each 4 weeks, which will let your back adapt to the stress. Even as low as 2-5kg every 4 weeks. Your grip should be fine with all of the other exercises we do.

The problem is that my therapist speaks to me in German, so the translation I used was literal, I have the feeling that my back isnt actually as bad as it maybe is believed. I cant really describe it well but its like the vertebrae go out of alignment and cause my muscles to compensate creating a lot of tension. It might not be a tear, but it definitely feels horrible. I havent had an MRI because there was no need, so I guess I mistakenly used the term "slipping", of which I apologize. 

Ultimately its not the compression which is bad (running creates a ton of compression as well as rope jumping) its the compression coupled with the forward/backward  inclination. Its easier if I showed you in person but basically when *I* push up from a squat *I* have a tendency to slightly go forward, this over a couple of reps moves the disks enough to cause the above mentioned effect. 

 

I will follow your advice of slowly raising the weight, I find that a very good idea.

 

Thanks to everybody and I apologize any misunderstandings.

Mark Collins

That's good to hear. Keep us updated on how the lunges go.