This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

jshaw's Foundation One and Handstand One log

Started by jshaw, January 2, 2014 · 4 Replies · 12 Views

jshaw

After a long hiatus from Gymnastic Strength Training™, I'm finally getting back into it.  About 3-4 years ago, I had started to work on the beginner progressions of FL, BL, PL, and L-Sit based on the BtGB book.  Unfortunately life got in the way, we had a baby on the way, I let my diet get out of control, and I stopped working out.  I've had some ups and downs with my weight, but I pretty much spent all of 2013 getting my diet in check and dropping my weight from ~250 lbs down to ~178 lbs.  My training has been focused on barbell strength training (squat, bench, deadlift, press), and I do have plans to enter some powerlifting competitions in 2014. 

 

I ordered the Foundation series and Handstand One a while back, and I've done a few workouts here and there, but up until now, I haven't gotten into a consistent routine with them.  I decided that now that I have my diet in check and my weight is where I want it to be, it's time to get serious.  I'll mainly be using the 4 day Foundation + 2 day HS template.  I'm starting all Foundation and Handstand elements on PE1 week 5, other than the wrist series, which I am starting each on PE3 week 5.  I think most of the preparatory elements in Foundation One I will find the strength will come relatively easy, while it will be the integrated mobility that is the limiting factor holding me back.  I have actually been doing a fair amount of mobility work based on Kelly Starrett's Becoming a Supple Leopard book and Mobility WOD youtube channel, but I am still far from the most mobile person. 

 

I started earlier this week, doing FL/PE1, sPL/PE1, HBP/PE1, and RC/PE1 on Tuesday, and SL/PE1, MN/PE1, SLS/PE1, WP/PE3, FKP/PE3, WR/PE3, FTP/PE3, and HS/PE1 last night.

jshaw

Finished up week 1 with the same rotations on Friday and Sunday.  I decided to switch templates for week 2, doing F7 2 days and H1 2 days instead of the integrated split.  I'm still doing everything 2x/week, I just think this is easier for my own scheduling.  I did F7 week 2 day 1 yesterday, and H1 week 2 day 1 tonight.  I will probably do F7 W2D2 Friday night, and H1 W2D2 Saturday. 

jshaw

I just wanted to write down my thoughts on where I stand with each of the exercises, the integrated mobility, and the further progressions.  As I stated in my first post, I started everything on PE1 week 5, except the wrist series, which I started on PE3 week 5. 

 

Bent Hollow Body Hold / Cat Cow:  I find this exercise and mobility combo to be pretty easy, I actually did the mastery like a month ago before I nailed down a consistent schedule, but I wanted to spend some time getting better before moving onto the bent hollow body rocks, plus I wanted to work the cat cow for a bit.

 

Scapular Shrug / Swivel Hips:  I’m fairly confident that I could run through mastery on the strength exercises at least through PE5, maybe even PE6, but I need to work on the integrated mobility.  I definitely want to spend some time on the swivel hips as it hits some tight spots, especially when internally rotating my left leg. 

 

Incline Pushup / German Arm Swing:  This is probably the easiest of all the exercises for me, I know for a fact I could master all of the strength exercises, but again, I’m going to take it slow to work on the integrated mobility.

 

Hinge Row / Upright Lat Lean:  I could probably master the strength and mobility for PE1-PE3, but I figure I’m better off just taking it slow.  It’s underlying trend, but working on improving the integrated mobility at each level certainly won’t hurt.

 

Arch Body Hold / Standing Hip Circle:  I know there’s a super long thread about how these are the devil, and I agree.  This is probably the only strength exercise that I’m not holding back just to take it slow and work on mobility.  I could see it taking a couple cycles to master this one. 

 

Tuck-Up / Stiff Leg Windmill:  I find the tuck ups to be pretty easy, though this is an area where the integrated mobility is really going to hold me back.  They’re getting better even after just a few sessions, but the stiff leg windmills are tough for me. 

 

Deck Squat / Skiers:  The deck squats are pretty easy, but once again I’ll hold back to work on the mobility before I move on. 

 

Wrist Series:  My wrist flexibility and strength kinda sucks, so I’m sure that I’ll probably be spending more than 8 weeks on the kneeling walks before I move on to the full walks, and then probably more than one cycle on the full walks before transitioning to the pushups. 

 

Tripod / Static Seated Shoulder Flexion:  This is another one that I did the mastery on a while ago, but I want to work on the static seated shoulder flexion more before moving on.

jshaw

I haven't been updating this log like I should, but I've been sticking to my schedule of hitting everything twice per week.  The week before last I got the flu, but fortunately it was my deload week.  I did only do everything once that week.  Last week was week 9 for most of the exercises, starting week 10 tonight.  I'm over the flu, but now I'm fighting through a cold.  I'm not sure if it's just the cold, but in week 9 I really started to notice endurance becoming a big factor on a lot of the exercises. 

 

Bent Hollow Body Hold / Cat Cow:  I'm hoping it's just the cold, but this was probably the exercise where I struggled the most with endurance.  I still managed to to get 4x48s, but it sure was tougher than I expected.  We'll see how weeks 10 and 11 go, but I might need another block with this one before I move on to PE2.

 

Scapular Shrug / Swivel Hips:  I've been working a lot of extra hip mobility, so my range on the swivel hips has improved, but I still have a ways to go. 

 

Incline Pushup / German Arm Swing:  Endurance is getting tough, but I think I'm still on pace to master this at the end of this block.

 

Hinge Row / Upright Lat Lean:  I think I made a major improvement in the quality of my reps on the hinge rows, which made them a bit more challenging.  We'll see how the next couple weeks ago for mastery.

 

Arch Body Hold / Standing Hip Circle:  I reset back to day 1 on these, focusing on quality over quantity. 

 

Tuck-Up / Stiff Leg Windmill:  I've actually seen a lot of improvement here, especially after implementing some tips from other users after I posted a form check.  I might be on track to master this at the end of this block.

 

Deck Squat / Skiers:  No issues here, I have no doubt I will master these at the end of this block. 

 

Wrist Series:  Getting better, but I think I might need at least another block on the wrist pushups and writs rocks. 

 

Tripod / Static Seated Shoulder Flexion:  This has definitely improved, I have no problem with the tripod, but I need to post up another form check on the static seated shoulder flexion to see how close I am.

jshaw

Bent Hollow Body Hold / Cat Cow:  I did the mastery, but I wasn't quite happy with it, so I decided to do one more block. 

 

Scapular Shrug / Swivel Hips:  Swivel hips still aren't quite there, probably need at least another block or two. 

 

Incline Pushup / German Arm Swing:  I completed mastery and moved on to PE2.

Pushup / Xiaopeng Forward:  I have no doubt I could've just gone ahead and completed mastery, but I decided to start on block 2, work the mobility a bit and improve my endurance before moving on to PE3.

 

Hinge Row / Upright Lat Lean:  I did the mastery, but realized I need to make a few form tweaks.  I'll be good for mastery at the end of this block.

 

Arch Body Hold / Standing Hip Circle:  I'm currently on block 2.  ROM has greatly improved since starting, but I think I might still need to get a little higher.  Definitely at least a few blocks away from mastery.

 

Tuck-Up / Stiff Leg Windmill:  The tuck-ups are easy, but I'm still working on the windmill.  I'll probably post another form check at the end of this block to see if I'm good for mastery.

 

Deck Squat / Skiers:  I completed mastery and moved on to PE2.

Cossack Squat / Twisting Squats:  Started on block 2.  Cossack squats have greatly improved in just 3 workouts, probably won't have any trouble completing mastery after block 3.  I don't like the twisting squats at all though.  It's not that they're overly difficult, they just feel awkward and I'm having trouble finding the right surface that gives just enough traction to push off, but slippery enough for my feet to twist smoothly.

 

 

Wrist Series:  Will probably mastery PE2 on all at the end of this block. 

 

Tripod / Static Seated Shoulder Flexion:  The tripod is easy, but static seated shoulder flexion still needs improvement.  I corrected my previous issue of compensating for lack of ROM with back extension, now I just need to work on getting the bar back further with a straight back.