At 26 my body is a shell from years of olympic weightlifting, serious shoulder injuries/hooked acromiums , hamstring tears and elbow tendonitis. HELP!

Started by dun08032863, January 2, 2014 · 8 Replies · 5,758 Views

dun08032863

I was out of weightlifting for 2 years with a labrium and proximal bicep tear in my shoulder, my suprinatus was inflammed in both shoulders for over 6 months. I worked a manual labour job and as you can imagine, going to work to hand saw wood with chronic supraspinatus tendonitis and a torn labrium/proximal bicep was hell.

 

I eventually had to give up my job and succomb to cortizone injections, which I was made take as the surgeon refused to operate on me until I had tried this first. It was fairly pointless, they didn't work,

 

After close to 2 years, I started improving my strict overhead pressing and after a year managed to strict press more than my bodyweight. Now my shoulders are 90% back to what they were pre injury but my flexibility is ridiculous.

 

I have type 3 hooked acromiums, which means I am particulary succeptable to suprasinatus strains, tendonitis and what worries me the most, a large rotator cuff tear.

 

I need to improve my shoulder flexibility but do so safely with my hooked acromium bone structure, I also must do the same with my hamstrings before something goes "pop".

 

I would very much like to work with someone on here who is extremely experienced in this field, and wouldnt mind me sending them videos each week to show them where I am at?

 

thanks in advance

Joshua Slocum

You may want to find a PT or other professional who has experience working with athletes recovering from injuries. 

 

The Foundation and Handstand series contain many progressions that can significantly improve your shoulder mobility and flexibility - I'd give them a look. Make sure you clear every exercise with your doctor before attempting them, though. The Gymnastic Bodies Youtube channel has a good number of mobility exercises on it, though a lot of them are probably too intense to start off with. 

 

Kit Laughlin has quite a few instructional stretching videos on his youtube channel. 

bigB

Regarding the tendonitis:

One of the first things that made me realize Coach's genius was his explanation of Steady State Training.

 

The core idea is that tendons and ligaments take 12 weeks to adapt to new loads. This is much slower than the muscle itself improves it's strength.

 

Understanding that Truth made me realize why I was caught in a cycle of Medial Epicondylitis. 

Mark Collins

You need to get H1 as it has the best shoulder active/ mobility exercises. Combined with F1 you cannot go wrong. Also see a Physio/PT to accelerate your progress. If you cannot afford to see a PT then I recommend buying Supple Leopard by K.Starret and work through the concepts there.

If your mobility in the shoulders is bad should be careful pressing bodyweight overhead? Just because you can do it does not mean you are doing the shoulder any good. What is your vertical and horizontal pulling strength like?

As you have pathology it is hard to give correct advice without feeling your shoulder and seeing how it responds to treatment.

Daytonwhat

I am an ex-powerlifter also.  I had bad tendinitis in my cuff.   I got one of those Groupons for an aerobic style boxing gym.  About 30 days latter all of my pain was gone.  But believe you me there were days that I just couldn't do it. 

dun08032863

vertical and horizontal pulling is bad very bad, it causes impingement.

 

I would like to be able to do this again

 

 

 

Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

dun08032863

I have searched the net what is this H1 and F1 and where can I purchase it?

Jennifer

Here

dun08032863 said:

I have searched the net what is this H1 and F1 and where can I purchase it?

Mark Collins

Vertical and horizontal pulling is only bad if you have bad movement patterns.