This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Breaking Up Cycle -> Block Terminology

Started by Cory Fair, January 1, 2014 · 11 Replies · 26 Views

Cory Fair

With the new format, we'll have the three micro cycles of the 12 weeks showing on every page. I would like to change the terminology to be more newbie friendly so that each progression is made up of three "blocks."

 

Block 1 -> Weeks A-D "Nowhere near mastery"

Block 2 -> Weeks A-D "Can perform 4 sets at half mastery"

Block 3 -> Weeks A-D "Need more endurance to reach 5 sets of mastery"

 

The introduction would then be changed to reflect this change. Students will always start on Week A for the block they fall under and continue until they reach the next block. All three blocks must be mastered (+ iM) before moving on to the next progression. 

 

This allows clear communication on the forums e.g. "I am struggling with moving past FL/PE1 Block 1" but also makes the settings on MyGB more approachable. In MyGB, they then simply choose the correct starting block and then adjust to week B,C,D if they have to repeat something or make an adjustment. 

 

Nothing about the actual programming would change, simply the way we present it. I can create a visual screenshot if it will be easier.

Cole Dano

I like the shorthand you've chosen and think it would be helpful. 

Coach Sommer

Alright, let's give it a try.

Cole Dano

What if instead of using weeks a-d we stick to numbers ?

E.g. Block 1 week 3

Seems more natural as the root cycle is a four week one, regardless of what block each element is in.

This block idea is great though, it is more closely models how the program is being used in the field. We work through blocks, there is no set time how long it will take any given individual to pass through a particular block. Been looking for a more natural way to phrase it myself, and this does it. :)

Coach Sommer

Very good, Cole.

Cory Fair

I have no preference between A-D or 1-4 on the block weeks. Would the numerical weeks potentially be confusing since the full cycle is 12 weeks (as well as the mastery charts)? For example, Block 2 Week 2 would be 6/12 Weeks.

Cole Dano

I don't think it would be confusing, but I also understood your suggestion to be a replacement terminology for weeks 1-12.

 

I find thinking of which block i'm on for an individual element and which week I'm on of the four week cycle to be more natural, particularly since I'm often working through certain blocks multiple times. So if I'm doing week 7 for the third time it's not really week 7 anymore, but it can always be block 2 week 3.......

 

So you have

 

Four week micro cycle + blocks

 

e.g.

 

Micro Cycle Week 2

 

FL Block 1 (no where near mastery)

sPL Block 3 (near mastery)

HBP Bolck 2 (can do some reps and sets)

RC Block 3 (near mastery)

Cory Fair

I will go with numerical weeks then. Since the mastery charts will not be duplicated across each course, it won't be difficult to modify it to Block 1/2/3 with Weeks 1-4 instead of the current Weeks 1-12.

Cory Fair

Also, with this new platform, we will be taking advantage of Amazon's CDN as part of the secure streaming so load speeds will increase significantly for internationals.

Cole Dano
I will go with numerical weeks then. Since the mastery charts will not be duplicated across each course, it won't be difficult to modify it to Block 1/2/3 with Weeks 1-4 instead of the current Weeks 1-12.

 

 

That would be the same using letters or numbers right, or am I missing something?

 

 

Cory Fair said:

Also, with this new platform, we will be taking advantage of Amazon's CDN as part of the secure streaming so load speeds will increase significantly for internationals.

 ::thumbsup!

Coach Sommer

I am beginning to have some doubts regarding renumbering the weeks 1-4, 1-4 and 1-4 as so many of the comments in the private forums already specifically refer to these numbered 1-12 weeks.

 

Perhaps a compromise approach would be best.  Refer to Block 1 (weeks 1-4), Block 2 (weeks 5-8) and Block 3 (weeks 9-12).  

 

This still makes it easy to reference which part/'block' of the twelve week cycle to start at without causing confusion on the private forums.

Cory Fair
Coach Sommer said:

I am beginning to have some doubts regarding renumbering the weeks 1-4, 1-4 and 1-4 as so many of the comments in the private forums already specifically refer to these numbered 1-12 weeks.

 

Perhaps a compromise approach would be best.  Refer to Block 1 (weeks 1-4), Block 2 (weeks 5-8) and Block 3 (weeks 9-12).  

 

This still makes it easy to reference which part/'block' of the twelve week cycle to start at without causing confusion on the private forums.

 

Will do.