Sugar alcohols vs. sugar in protein bars

Started by Seabird, December 29, 2013 · 1 Replies · 2,142 Views

Seabird

Just wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on how to think about sugar. Obviously you should keep your sugar intake and glycemic index/load low (I've seen 10-12.5 grams per day of sugar as being the recommended limit), given the detrimental effects on fat storage, but I've also heard some conflicting things re: sugar alcohols and their nutritional properties.

 

Its pretty common to see sugar alcohols (I have some difficulty figuring the difference in glycemic load of each of the different ones, and whether it'd  be better to just avoid them in general) as the primary source of sugars, and carbs in general, in whey protein bars, and those are something I take from time to time when its easier to eat them, to spread my protein intake out, as opposed to making myself a meal ahead of time, but I'd be fine with removing them if the facts line up against them. If anyone could recommend any protein bars in particular, that'd be great too.

 

Thanks : )

RJS
Seabird said:

Just wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on how to think about sugar.

In Nov. 2011 our monastery diet changed to 0 added sugar in anything, none. Since then i haven't got sick with any kind of "bug", at all. I don't think adding sugar to anything is very necessary.