This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Looking Back

Started by PrimalMove, December 29, 2013 · 6 Replies · 246 Views

PrimalMove

i just started moving into a more calisthenic style training after the local gym I trained at shut down. Over the last few months, roughly 4-5 months, I've bounced around trying different programs to see which would fit my goals, style, and current needs. The whole time, I compared the different knowledge of individuals to one another not by credentials, but what their programs brought to the table and offered.

 

I'm still very new to the strength and conditioning world, I'm currently double majoring in exercise science and biology, but looking back over my knowledge and the amazing knowledge of coaches, online or physical, everything comes down to one thing I skipped when I started my body weight journey. The Basics.  I took for granted the strength I systematically gained on the barbell movements and thought this training would be a piece of cake and I could skip over movements as basic as the push up and start training for a planch....

 

As i stated in another topic, after 2 months of progressing from frog-tuck planche, I developed tendonitis left elbow. Its better now, but it forced me back. A few weeks a go I went back and started "actually" testing each element... So much for my barbell strength carrying me through all this. It turns out, I could barely get past most of the PE3 strength elements.

 

I guess in short, these basics I looked down upon, have really opened my eyes these last few weeks, and I look forward to progressing with everyone.

RJS

Exactly Good Sir. 

 

So much for my 350 lb deadlift helping me with mastering ABH, doesn't seem to carryover one bit. 

PrimalMove
RJS said:

Exactly Good Sir. 

 

So much for my 350 lb deadlift helping me with mastering ABH, doesn't seem to carryover one bit.

Very very true. At 160lbs, I proud of my 225lb squat clean and press, but that doesn't help me with push-ups, dips, or pull ups.

Jon Douglas
PrimalMove said:

Very very true. At 160lbs, I proud of my 225lb squat clean and press, but that doesn't help me with push-ups, dips, or pull ups.

I was proud of my bodyweight KB clean/press but no strict HSPU yet... T_T

PrimalMove
Jon Douglas said:

I was proud of my bodyweight KB clean/press but no strict HSPU yet... T_T

I've been slowly getting a kettlebell set together for extra leg and conditioning work. I love them. About HSPU, I'm curious. I've seen done with almost a military press form, elbows turned in slightly, and front press form with elbows aligned with the shoulder. I'm working with greasing the groove method on my HeSPU using the elbows turned slightly form, but would like to know if I should be turning them in more to press.

Jon Douglas
PrimalMove said:

I've been slowly getting a kettlebell set together for extra leg and conditioning work. I love them. About HSPU, I'm curious. I've seen done with almost a military press form, elbows turned in slightly, and front press form with elbows aligned with the shoulder. I'm working with greasing the groove method on my HeSPU using the elbows turned slightly form, but would like to know if I should be turning them in more to press.

I wouldn't stress. IME when you move them to freestanding they are very quickly self-correcting, and doubly so when you work it full ROM :)

PrimalMove

Awesome, I'll keep it up then. Thank you!