This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Partial wall handstand rep SE2

Started by Matthieu Jeandel, December 28, 2013 · 5 Replies · 176 Views

Matthieu Jeandel

Hello

 

How long do we try to maintain the handstand between each rep? 

 

Thank you

Jimmy Bellum

Generally, it is advised try to mimic the form and tempo of the athlete demonstrating the element, that also means the duration. Which I estimate is 4-5 seconds max. You will see that the next SE focusses more on the duration aspect, while SE2 is more about getting used to a freestanding HS position.

Matthieu Jeandel

Ok thank you. 

 

Do you think if I can keep my handstand longer than 5/6 sec I keep it or it's not interesting and wait the next exercices? 

Joshua Slocum

There's no need to be a PE hero. If you've mastered the exercise, put it into your warmup rotation and move on to the next PE.

Matthieu Jeandel

It's not to be a PE hero. I see the next one is for time (5 x 10 sec). 

 

What I want to know (maybe I am not clear because of my english). Do I keep my handstand for as long as possible each rep by example: 

1st round: 10sec

2nd: 7sec

3rd: 9sec

4th: 8 sec

5th: 5sec

 

And myabe sometimes more than 10 sec ? I ask this in order to understand what is one rep in this exercice. I f it's just puting the two les off the wall slowly and the next exercices is for time. 

Jimmy Bellum

I think one rep is pulling both feet off the wall with good body alignment. The duration is not so important here, but the form is. 
Quoting Coach from an old thread:

To transition from wall handstands to free standing handstands, try the following drill: Perform a wall handstand with stomach to the wall. Place your wrists approximately 4-6" from the base of the wall. Keep one foot on the wall while pulling the other foot off the wall and extending that leg directly over your hips. At this time, your wrists, shoulders, hips and leg that is off the wall should be in one vertical line. Once you feel that you have achieved a strong stable position, slowly pull your supporting foot off the wall. When you lose your balance, simply catch yourself by replacing the foot on the wall and then continue on with the drill. 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/137-transitioning-from-wall-handstands-to-free-standing/

It's fun to see where the past drills are placed in the bigger picture (H1/F1-4)   :D