This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Programing Problem: Pool got a Pull-Up Bar

Started by synchroGENized, December 28, 2013 · 3 Replies · 151 Views

synchroGENized

So, I've been using F1 as my strength training component of my training program, competitive swimming being the other half right now.  I try to keep the F1 session separated from my pool training by at least a couple of hours, a good meal and a litre of water.  But I feel even better if the two things happen on separate days.  Strength seems to be coming along as I go.

 

BUT suddenly my swim coach fell in love with the pull-up.  I have no idea how he got permission to do it, but he managed to install a set of pull-up bars in the pool big enough for the whole team and sturdy enough to last a century.  But that means that he really really wants to use them.  The stated plan is tues/thurs pull-ups plus hanging leg raises on abdominal days.  It's fun doing the pull-ups, but it plays havoc with my ability to do RCPE1 the next day and leaves me dead in the water during the swim training right afterwards

 

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to optimize the scheduling?...or somehow get superhuman recovery?  :P   I can sand-bag during swim training if necessary (but don't want to), but I can't swap in my RCPE1 or skip the excercise completely.

 

extra info:  Im finishing week 7 of RCPE1 and have been assigned 10 sets of 1 pull-up either scrabbling my toes against the side-bars or getting a spotter to help... grip strength and pulling has always been my weak spot, and I've previously avoided it leading to a big defecit.

Alan Tseng

How about sPL/FL/HBP/RC on Tues/Fri and SL/MN/SLS on Mon/Thurs?  So you're doing RC/PE1 same day as the pull-ups?

 

How does he want you to do a pull-up?  You could try doing jumping pull-ups to make them as easy as possible (still use full ROM of course)

markp

You could tell your coach that you're already doing strength training. Perhaps he will allow you to skip the pullups & leg lifts?

Jon Douglas
Hmms said:

How does he want you to do a pull-up?  You could try doing jumping pull-ups to make them as easy as possible (still use full ROM of course)

Piggybacking on this, while I've been playing with some Crossfit I've used rx'd pullups to put some time into kipping (Chinese) pullups (which I've not tried before and wanted to learn). This lets me practise the new skill (and keeps them happy that I'm 'working' hard enough) while not interfering (much) with my foundation work. Is this something you might try?

Edit;

That's a whole lot of brackets... sorry, I've been programming in a car all day driving overland and I can't tell what's normal anymore :D