This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scap retraction during cat cow? FL/PE1>iM

Started by SoyeBoy, December 27, 2013 · 1 Replies · 124 Views

SoyeBoy

During the bottom of the "cat" portion of the Cat-Cow iM, should the scaps be retracted or no?

I feel I can get my belly closer to the floor when retracting the scaps, but is this just "fake" mobility? Is scap retraction useful in this iM?

Jimmy Bellum

The scapulae move naturally with the movement to an extent. Actively retracting these will indeed allow a deeper arch during the 'cat portion'. Since the FL iM exercises are meant to develop your gymnastic bridge, I think it is useful to retract and therefore open up and challenge the range of motion even more in the arch (that eventually is needed in a bridge as well).

Those are my thoughts, but since I'm no authority on this I'd wait on an official answer.  :)