This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stiff Legged Windmill - Shoulder Mobility

Started by Trevor Lewis, December 27, 2013 · 3 Replies · 253 Views

Trevor Lewis

Tried searching for some information on this but didn't find anything with the search that related exactly to my problem.

 

I just finished my first week of Foundation and am really having trouble keeping anything centered over my left shoulder during the Stiff Leg windmill exercise.

 

Performing it on my right is fine and feels strong and stable while on the left it feels very difficult to control. It also feels much weaker than my right shoulder and is significantly more taxing to perform even with light weight. Not sure if this is just because of mobility and not being centered or because of an actual strength difference. Really tight and sore in the teres and spinatus muscles (thinking its a supraspinatus issue?) immediately afterwards as well. Not having pain other than the soreness during and after.

 

No injuries to speak of, and was just wondering if there were some assistance exercises I could focus on to help my left shoulder catch up with the right or should I just keep doing the windmills and let it work itself out?

 

I've done internal and external rotations and other shoulder prehab work in the past so I have bands to use if I can figure out which moves would help with this exercise. Thanks for any help any of you can provide!

john_c

I really struggled with this at first and I still am. In my case it was my right shoulder, my left was ok. I started off with a 3kg barbell but found I was drifting all over the place and found it hard to control the weight. I decided to go down to 2kg which seemed to help but I was still struggling, I think I was managing the drift a bit better. What I have done recently is go back up to 3kg, really focus on getting and keeping the weight directly above my head and maintain good form even if my ROM is less than desired.

At first I couldn't get my right hand directly above my head but this has improved and my ROM is increasing, it was only a few cm's at first.

I have also included some alternating toe touches as part of the warm up when I have the SLW in the session.

Trevor Lewis

Thanks I'll have to try that. Guess it's just gonna be awhile till it gets use to the proper ROM it needs to keep the weight centered. Going to try a few things over the weekend and see if they help out next weeks sessions.

john_c

Let us know how you get on.