This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE2 iM thing

Started by Duff, December 27, 2013 · 5 Replies · 214 Views

Duff

I'm starting PE2 this week, so I wanted to make sure I get the iM right from the start.


 


I noticed this:


 


DSC04516.jpg


 


One of the cues I've read in other threads is to retract the shoulders. But if I compare the athlete to this photo:


 


power-clean-back.jpg


 


He doesn't seem to be retracting at all, he even looks like he was protracting.


 


So are my eyes decieving me here, or am I on to something?


Flameous

I don't think it's possible to retract very much with that arm position. According to my understanding the point is that you should avoid letting your shoulders slide forward what they tend to do in that movement.

Then again I've been struggling with this for ages...

Duff
Flameous said:

I don't think it's possible to retract very much with that arm position. According to my understanding the point is that you should avoid letting your shoulders slide forward what they tend to do in that movement.

Then again I've been struggling with this for ages...

 

I can do it in two ways:

 

- somewhat protract the shoulders, here I feel the triceps working

 

- retract the shoulders, the traps and some other back muscles working, possibly posterior deltoid

dritar

It doesn't feel quite like retraction to me, but I think you should not let the shoulders roll forward or back round, what you want to feel the stretch in your chest, like opening it.

all2prodigal
Duff said:

 

I'm starting PE2 this week, so I wanted to make sure I get the iM right from the start.

 

I noticed this:

 

DSC04516.jpg

 

One of the cues I've read in other threads is to retract the shoulders. But if I compare the athlete to this photo:

 

power-clean-back.jpg

 

He doesn't seem to be retracting at all, he even looks like he was protracting.

 

So are my eyes decieving me here, or am I on to something?

 

I'm new to GB, but not new to fitness, as I am a very experienced trainer and avid student of body mechanics. Here is my 2 cents- a well developed gymnast walks around in constant protraction. It almost looks like they have no scapula when standing because the hollow body position is such a regular state for them. That's not to say that they do not have retractive abilities. Quite the contrary. That being said, this weight and position is probably so easy for him that there was no need to actively retract to get him in that position. Us newbies or mobility impaired individuals on the other hand, need to actively do so to hold the weighted position. Scapular strength and mobility is essential in gymnastics strength. I am stuck on 5 lbs and can almost stand erect (my head tilts forward a bit still." But I do see and feel a strong retraction in the mirror. It's the same position in a back lever. I definitely retract in that position.  

Quote

NoHiddenCosts

The only thing I've learned about this stretch is that whatever anyone thinks about it is entirely wrong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

But the important part seems to be to keep your back straight, chest up, and just somehow get your arms shoulder-width and parallel to the ground.