This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090317

Started by Coach Sommer, March 17, 2009 · 6 Replies · 1,203 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090123.jpg

Complete the following:

10 minutes in XR Strap HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

Post the overall time spent working to achieve the 10 min XR Strap HS total and the average length of your HS sets below. Compare your results today with your results from 090123.

notes:

1) To perform an XR Strap HS, first drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6"-8" from the ground. Now kick up into a HS, widely straddling your legs so that they catch on the straps. Note that your legs will remain in contact with the straps during the entire time in HS. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your XR Strap HS.

2) Only time spent in the actual handstand counts toward your 10 minute total. Perform as many sets as necessary to reach this 10 minute total.

3) If an XR Strap HS is currently beyond you, instead spend 20 cumulative minutes in a Wall HS.

4) Be sensitive to your wrists; if the training load is too great for them, end this workout early. Do not be overly concerned if this is necessary. Your wrist strength will continue to improve over time if you are patient.

Nobodystopsdblob

Complete the following:

10 minutes in XR Strap HS started with HR but after about 10 minutes of trying and 3 minutes of actual work I moved to handstands against a wall for another 4 minutes of total work

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

sghetti

XR Strap HS

40 + 40 + 40 + 30 + 30 = 3 minutes

Wall Handstand

74 + 60 = 2.25 minutes

I fail :[

M_L_T@Hotmail.com

I managed 20x 30sec wall HS with 30sec rest between each before my shoulders and wrists couldn't take any more

I finished with 5x 1min headstands and 3x 2min mushroom hand balances.

On the last occassion this workout was posted I carried on until I had completed the whole 20mins in a wall HS but it took over 2hours and I was only managing about 15secs at a time towards the end.

Although I only did half the work this week (Because I'm trying to recover and reduce my volume for a week) I did it 13mins quicker than I did when I reached the same point last time so I'm still happy.

It may not be the right place to ask this question but when reducing volume for a week is it preferable to reduce the number of days spent training or the volume of each training day eg. if you normally train 5 days a week would it be better to do the full workout on only 2 days or train all 5 days still but half the volume?

Hope that made sense- I don't think I articulated it very well!

Coach Sommer
My adjustment for advanced athletes is based on overall volume, rather than intensity. During the fourth week, they drop from 6 days a week training to 3 days for that week. The intensity of their training and conditioning remains relatively high for the days that they are in, but their recovery is increased by a factor of four.

I reduce the number of training days, and leave the actual day's training relatively untouched.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

10min XR HS:

Sets:

1min, 1min, 50sec, 1min, 50sec

50sec, 50sec, 50sec, 50sec, 50sec

45sec, 45sec

2x10 wrist push-ups

  • [*:1womvw3b]Switched up foot position for these made holds exponentially more difficult! Had been doing with legs around outside of straps --- this session, we all emulated the athlete in the photo with the legs inside the straps. It was much more difficult but infinitely more rewarding.
    [*:1womvw3b]Also, this is what, the third time we've done this in the last few months? I've noticed an exponential increase in handstand skill and strength in the guys with whom I'm practicing these WODs. They've able to kick up, find the straps, and generate near-vertical alignment of all major joints. It's been pretty cool to watch any arch of the low-back arch gradually disappear.
    [*:1womvw3b]Wrist push-ups are getting better --- I can press up off the floor --- though I belly-flop if I try to lower! I managed one full range yesterday, though I had to drop a knee for the remainder.

M_L_T@Hotmail.com

Thank you for the prompt response Coach