This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check and mobility issues

Started by mlaen, December 25, 2013 · 23 Replies · 668 Views

mlaen

So I was hoping for some critics as your Christmas present to me :)

 

1. sPL/PE1

 

2. SLS/PE1

 

3. SLS/PE1-im

 

I'm still rounding my back pretty much. Beside the F1/H1 work I'm working on mobility issues on shoulders, hips and ankles. Is there anything else I should add to be able to squat without rounding my back:

 

4. MN/PE1

 

5. MN/PE1-im (it's not a pepsi, it's a red wine, I dont have any equipment at home for hollydays :D)

Guest

sPL: Good, just slow down a bit.

 

SLS: Good, try to kill a bit of the momentum though.

iM: Could have a bit more ROM, but it will come in time.

For squat mobility, I suggest watching Ido Portal's Squat Clinic video on Youtube. Very helpful.

 

MN: Try to touch your chest with your thighs/knees. This indicates good pike compression, and will help a LOT in later progressions.

 

Please post H1 things in the appropriate forum.

Jennifer

For the SLS does it matter that he keeps the arms lying flat on the ground?

Duff

Scap shrug:  you seem to be going to your left, at least your head does. 

 

Everything else same as Awarenesss said.

 

And film an additional back view of HS PE1 im, it makes it easier to see if you are dislocating.

Guest
Jennifer said:

For the SLS does it matter that he keeps the arms lying flat on the ground?

Not sure, however it's best to follow what the athlete is doing in the video frame for frame;)

mlaen

Thanks for the input guys (and Jennifer :))

 

Awarenesss said:

sPL: Good, just slow down a bit.

 

SLS: Good, try to kill a bit of the momentum though.

iM: Could have a bit more ROM, but it will come in time.

For squat mobility, I suggest watching Ido Portal's Squat Clinic video on Youtube. Very helpful.

 

MN: Try to touch your chest with your thighs/knees. This indicates good pike compression, and will help a LOT in later progressions.

 

Please post H1 things in the appropriate forum.

 

I do still have momentum for SLS (that the reason my arms are down as Jennifer noticed), I got used to that... I'll keep my hand up and work on momentum!

 

I heard of Ido Portal but haven't watched his movies, thanks for the tip!

 

As for mana, I still can't touch my chest, this is as far as I can go (compress?) for now, but I'm working on my hips and "knees to chest" stretch so this should improve...

 

I got carried away a bit, I have removed H1 from F1 subforum.

Aaron

I think you are doing the MN PE1>iM incorrectly. Re-watch the demo video and take note of the athlete's foot position. Also note he goes to the side and down, vs. simply folding forward, like you are doing.

dynamo

Also on MN PE1>iM the unweighted shoulder should end up directly under the weighted shoulder using measured strength if necessary to help move it there.  This additional rotation will help to open up the hips further.

mlaen

Aaron, dynamo thanks for pointing this out! I ended up reading about this Im and this is my second atempt, what do you think, any better (I'm still not sure if I understood everything):

 

Aaron

Hugely improved! 

 

Some ideas for further refinement: 

1) I think your stance is a bit too narrow. Try moving both your feet another one-half to one foot-length away from your body.

2) Turn your entire right leg 'out' more, i.e., externally rotate your entire leg at the hip. Compare the images below and the auxiliary lines I took the liberty of drawing with my awesome MS paint skills

Wpclpty.png

 

Of course the angle difference may be an issue due to the camera angle or something other opitcal issue. I'm just saying that the angle between the athletes feet looks far closer to 90 degrees than yours does. Also it looks like your right knee may be collapsing inwards, but it's hard to tell with given your pants and the camera angle.

3)Go deeper and reach your arm through your legs. Of course this will take time to reach the level demonstrated in the video.

 

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on this matter. Perhaps someone more experienced can comment.

mlaen

Aaron, I wish I could buy you a beer (or whey)! Thanks! :)

Keegan Y

From what I can see from your IM you are leaning too much straight to the side and not enough forwards from the hips. That is why your arm is not winding up between your legs like the athlete in the demo video. Both actions should occur during this movement.

mlaen

Missed your post Keegan! Thanks!

I finally took some time to film RC/PE1, any comment on this one? Too much hip movement?

 

RC/PE1

Alessandro Mainente

for RC PE1 try to not move your butt. for PL you need to fix your retraction problem is pretty clear that there is some ROM deficit in one shoulder/scap. the problem is muscles related since you do not present abnormal alignment (due to scoliosis) during the protraction talking about the upper back form. check if is only a technique matter, is very important to maintain same ROM especially for H1 Im's , is can be result in a asymmetrich shoulders elevatio/depression during disclocate progression.

mlaen

Alex, I wouldn't notice that, thanks! I'll try to film it again to see if it was just poor technique.

But my left shoulder does have less flexion (mobility in general) that right one, maybe this is related? I'm working on that (some stuff I took from mobilityWOD) and it's improving.

When I lie down I can put my right hand easily on the floor behind me but I'm missing around 10cm on my left hand (flexion, no internal rotation, shoulder width, scapula retracted and elevated, I should probably take a picture)

mlaen

Time for another form check...

 

1. Pushups: I think I'm a bit piked here, I usually have a mirror at the gym so I can correct myself:

 

 

2. sPL/PE1, I had some disbalances the last time, how does this look:

 

 

3. FL/PE1-iM - when I started these I was flat so I can see a big improvement. However, is it good enough for mastery? I'm testing PE1 on monday for mastery...

 

 

4. ABH - I'm really happy with the progress on this one, H1 helped a lot with shoulder flexion. Can I focus on volume now or I still have to work on my form?

 

mlaen

Noone? Cmon it can't be that prrfect :P

dasede

How exactly did you fix the scapula issue in sPL/PE1? I have the same problem.

mlaen

It started to improve rapidly after I realized I was doing HS-PE1/iM wrong and corrected it!

dasede
mlaen said:

It started to improve rapidly after I realized I was doing HS-PE1/iM wrong and corrected it!

I guess I'll have to recheck my form on that one then  :P  Time to read all the discussion about it and maybe post a form check myself. Thanks.

 

mlaen

I forgot - switching to standing desk 3 months ago probably helped with glute activation/strength!

Keegan

Nice ROM on the ABH! Someone more qualified than me might be able to nitpick it and add some details, but I'd say go for adding volume.

It was tough to tell due to the lighting, but it looks like you aren't touching your chest to the ground on HBP PE2 and yes you are a little piked.

Nice job fixing the Scap Shrugs.

mlaen
Keegan said:

Nice ROM on the ABH! Someone more qualified than me might be able to nitpick it and add some details, but I'd say go for adding volume.

It was tough to tell due to the lighting, but it looks like you aren't touching your chest to the ground on HBP PE2 and yes you are a little piked.

Nice job fixing the Scap Shrugs.

Thanks!

You are right with pushups, looks like I didn't go all the way!

 

What do you think about FL/PE1-iM? Is it enough for mastery?

Keegan

TBH, it's tough for me to tell as your video is shot from a different angle than the demo video and I'm not a GB coach or certified athlete who knows specifically what ROM range constitutes mastery.

It looks like Dillon's back is arching more than yours in the demo video (your flexion ROM looks good though from what I can tell), but again the angle is different so it's hard to compare.