Some questions about loaded stretching

Started by red1392, December 25, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,871 Views

red1392

So I think I'm going to try replacing my static flexibility work with weighted work...

 

So far I've got Jefferson curls and deficit Stiff Legged Deadlift to replace pike work.

 

And deep weighted lunges to replace hip extension stuff like crescents/front splits.

 

Adductor work will be the same butterfly position with weights I guess.

 

Any ideas for pancake and side split?

 

Am I missing anything? 

 

Thanks!

Guest

Right now I work pike, pancake, and side split 3x a week, using weights for the former two. For pancake I sit in the widest straddle I can, then take a 10lb plate (may up to 20 soon) and put it on the middle of my back so it can balance without falling off. I also try to externally rotate each leg to allow my body to go deeper. For pike I do the same thing, just seated and palms touching my soles.

Sailor Venus

Weights are brilliant for stretching. There are more to weights than just lifting. I do all the time.

 

For the middle splits, do the split on the floor, get one hand out (with the other hand still supporting your body) and grab at least a 15 kgs dummbbell or heavier (heavier is always better) and move if as close to your leg as possible, in fact close to your body as well. During the split pull the dumbbell towards the ceiling. What you should feel is your legs sliding more instead of the weight being lifted and thats why I suggested a heavy dumbbell. Now do you feel that nice stretch in your adductors?

 

To hit your hip flexor, kneel into a kneeling lunge position (hips forward in front of your knee not directly above, knee should touch the floor) with a pair of heavy dumbells behind you, one on each side, minimum of 10 kgs each. Get the heaviest for best result. Reach your hands behind and grab the dumbbells and pull them up. Since they're too heavy you can't lift them and instead your rear leg starts to slide, stretching the hip flexor. Nice. Another variant is get a barbell and load it with tons of plates. Stand in front of it so the barbell is behind you, kneel down, thread one leg behind you between the floor and the bar, grab the bar and pull. Enjoy yourself.

Ravn
Sailor Venus said:

Enjoy yourself.

Venus, that doesn't sound enjoyable at all. But thanks for showing us your world  :P

Sailor Venus

I've tried bath towels instead of weights. Weights are too low for me to reach and it can be a nuisance. Bath towels can be reached no problems. I think towels are better than weights. Use it in conjunction with PNF and you've got yourself a stick of dynamite. Now lets stretch those goddamn hip flexors and say hello to arabesques and scorpion poses.