This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FLPE15 & FLPE16

Started by twan, December 24, 2013 · 5 Replies · 415 Views

twan

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could do these exercises on a pull up bar instead of on parallel bars ?

 

I see that for the front lever the foundation series uses a lot of exercises on parallel bars instead of regular pull up bars.

 

So I have 2 questions ?

 

Does this recruit different muscles or not by using a different grip ?

 

Could you do these on a regular pull up bar instead or is there a specific reason for doing these on parallel bars ?

 

 

ausswe

my first thought for using parallel bars was that you can start from a completely inverted hang go through he motion and end up back i inverted hang where as a bar would restrict you from going all the way up because well there is a bar in the way.... i guess rings could work to the same effect but a bar would just be in the way.

 

also i fin front lever on parallel bars slightly easier.

Joshua Slocum

For most front lever work, using parallel pars, a pullup bar, or rings makes little difference. 

 

For these two exercises in particular, I'd recommend rings or parallel bars, since you want to be able to pull all the way to an inverted hang, as ausswe mentioned. 

Stephen Majerle

I've noticed the athletes grip the parallel bars with their thumbs wrapped over the top of the bar next to their fingers. Does that provide a better grip for these movements? When I get to these elements I plan to us my rings and I'm not sure I could put my thumb through the rings with my fingers like that.

ausswe

I wouldn't worry too much about grip details. Just use a grip which you like the most and once you have it mastered you should be able to switch grip without difficulty.

MT Nordic

Whether on PBs or a single bar is inconsequential.  Whichever you have access to is fine.


 


Yours in Fitness,


Coach Sommer