This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

DOMS afer stretching

Started by Francisco Rodriguez, December 24, 2013 · 3 Replies · 240 Views

Francisco Rodriguez

Hello!

 

After stretching my legs (windmills and jefferson curs) I have a lot of DOMS in my hamstrings. I did Jefferson curls 3 days ago and today I still have DOMS

 

I don't know if this is right or normal, but I feel that my flexibility isn't improving.

 

 

 

Thanks!

Coach Sommer

Good point by Zach on excessive ROM.

You may also need to reduce the amount of weight you are currently using.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Matt JC

I have had great results over the last eight months by stretching only to a point that would cause no more than a slight discomfort the following day.  This allows me to stretch regularly and consistently improve my ROM without being very taxing on the muscles and nervous system.  It also helps avoid any injury that may occur as a result of stretching to hard.  One sign that you are stretching to hard can be shaking muscles.  The stretch itself can be uncomfortable but if my muscles can't remain steady I immediately stop the stretch.

 

Before that I would occasionally stretch hard and would be unable to effectively stretch for two days.  All the progress made that day would be lost by not being able to stretch the following days.  I didn't like being so sore from stretching that I couldn't tumble so it didn't take to long for me to get off the idea that I needed to really push my self when stretching. 

 

So from my personal experience, increasing flexibility is not difficult but demands a great amount of consistency.  

 

 

markp

I have exactly the same experience as Matt JC.

 

I have to try to avoid DOMS after stretching, or only have a very slight amount of it. If I feel really sore, I don’t make any progress at all. Quite the contrary: I get stiffer and stiffer and even risk running into an injury.

 

The moment I started following these cues (no shaking muscles, very slight doms), my flexibility improved steadily but surely.