So I have become confused about the place of Posterior Chain Strength in Gymnastics.
On one hand, from reading just the introduction of BtGB, one would notice Coach Sommer's respectable deadlift from pure GST--not to mention his student JJ's triple bodyweight deadlift. This implies pretty commendable posterior chain strength. I would assume that positions like the Back Lever, Planche, and Maltese would be main contributors to such strength.
On the other hand, as I recently learned, it is possible to achieve a Maltese and still have weaknesses in the posterior chain. I also read some old threads in this forum where people stated that gymnasts tend to be lacking in posterior chain strength.
Now that last comment I do not believe, as no one pulls off a double to triple bodyweight deadlift with significantly lacking posterior chain strength. But it would seem that the height of that strength does not come from a Maltese.
So my question is: Where do gymnasts get it from? Are positions like the Planche and Back lever somehow harder on the posterior chain than a Maltese? Or does it come from bridges & limbers & acrobatic skills? Is there something else I'm missing?
Please enlighten a newbie! ![]()