This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

L Sit Lats to Triceps position

Started by Eric Xavier, December 23, 2013 · 2 Replies · 257 Views

Eric Xavier

I've been looking at the videos of the L sits in the foundation series and I have a point that I am confused.

 

In my L sit I try to have the upper body as straight as possible, trying to get the chest to stick out and have my butt in front of my hands.  This puts the tals and triceps in the same vertical plane.

 

When I corrected my elbow position and had them point out (like in a ring support) I started to have a lot of pressure on my triceps from the lats.  The parallel bars I was performing them were fingertips to elbow width apart (form center to center of bars), so I started doing them on parallelets that were slightly wider apart (elbow to fingertip space between the bars).  This took some pressure off the lats and triceps as both are occupying the same vertical plane and a wider 'stance' allowed for more room.

 

In the videos in F3, and this might just be my eyes betraying me, it seems that the athlete has the triceps IN FRONT of the lats (not on the same plane).  This would mean having the butt behind the hands.  Is this correct?  It would surely lessen the pressure and allow performing these in closer bars.

 

Is this an issue for anyone else?

Joshua Slocum

Where did you get the idea that bars should only be elbow to fingertip from center to center? They should be wide enough that your lats can comfortably pass between your triceps. A good rule of thumb is to make the space between the bars equal to the length from elbow to fingertip, plus 2-3 finger width.  

 

The athlete does indeed have the butt slightly behind the hands. Butt in line with the hands is a more difficult version called an "advanced L-sit". If you train up to 5x30s of that variation, it will probably help you move through the later progressions more quickly, but it's not required for mastery. 

Eric Xavier

Sorry I did not mean to mislead.  That is the way the parallels bars are, not my choice.  I would prefer wider PBars since these also feel to narrow for other moves.  That is why I do L Sits on the parallelets, where I can place the bars a few fingers further apart, but that small difference is enough to get the needed room between the lats and tri.

 

Pushing the butt forward does feel better as my back is straighter and I feel less hunched. That version does feel tougher since the lever is further disadvantaged.  I notice I cannot keep that form up on rings yet, my butt slinks further back on the rings.

 

 

Thanks for the clarification Joshua. :)