This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New equipment required for F3

Started by Joshua Slocum, December 23, 2013 · 16 Replies · 762 Views

Joshua Slocum

I went through and cataloged a list of equipment required for completing Foundation 3. A lot of this is already required for F1/F2. Please let me know if I missed anything or if you've come up with any clever substitutions:

 

 

FL:

Rings will be sufficient for the front-lever work; p-bars can be used as well. 

 

FL->iM:

no new equipment needed

 

 

sPL:

no new equipment needed

 

sPL->iM:

no new equipment needed

 

 

SL:

Stall bars (not new, but it's pretty much impossible to substitute for something else now)

 

SL->iM:

need some light weights (not new)

 

 

MN:

Need p-bars (not new)

 

MN->iM:

Need a bench and a heavy weight (not new)

Stall bars (not new, but it's pretty much impossible to substitute for something else now)

 

 

SLS:

need heavy weights for lunging (not new)

 

SLS->iM:

need light weights and a place to do arch ups (not new)

 

 

HBP:

box/other support at ~rib height for box-headstand pushups

low (~4-8") supports (2x) for elevated HeSPU

parallettes high enough for HSPU

parallel bars or a dip station for planche-dips (not new)

 

HBP->iM:

- short strap/belt for PE21->iM

 

 

RC:

bar with room for pullovers

 

RC->iM:

bungee (not new)

Robmob

So far the only trouble I have is getting a bar with space for the pullovers. There is no alternative I can think of, is it possible to skip or substitute the exercise(s)? And if not what should I do?

Of course Im not actually at the point where I need to worry, but I will be soon.

Joshua Slocum

Unfortunately I have a feeling that one is going to be tough for most people to find. 

 

Some things you could try:

- Go to a gymnastics or parkour facility for open gym, and hope you're able to test out on the first try. 

- If you have a yard, construct a temporary bar to use while you're training the pull-over skills (you're also going to want this for the FL work in F2).

- Find a low-bar and start the pullover in an L-hang instead of a dead-hang. 

Jon Douglas
Joshua Slocum said:

RC:

bar with room for pullovers

This is actually the most difficult thing for me to find at the moment...

Coach Sommer

Take your rings off and put a single bar across the two ring straps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gohei_
Coach Sommer said:

Take your rings off and put a single bar across the two ring straps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I have done this. There are a lot of swinging going on though  :D

Coach Sommer

Smooth non-jerking movements will help to minimize this.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Andreas

Is there a reason why FL work is done on a set of pbars?

 

Guess I might as well go on using a single bar?

Eric Baum
Coach Sommer said:

Take your rings off and put a single bar across the two ring straps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Using a bar like this is the same as using a trapeze.

I've done pullovers in a trapeze and they can be pretty steady once you get the hang of it.

Eric Xavier

I put a solid bar in the ring straps for pullovers.  The instability is actually better to develop control over the movement I think.

 

However for front lever rows (front lever pull in the foundation series) I find a swinging bar to actually make the move easier so I'd rather do those in a fixed bar.

Coach Sommer

I agree that the trapeze type bar is not optimal, but it certainly beats having no alternative. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

-MR

I was trying to find options for these as well and could only come up with these: 

 

http://www.amazon.com/All-one-Stand-Alone-Pull/dp/B001KUURTS/ref=pd_sbs_sg_17

 

http://www.shamrockgym.com/

 

My concerns with the first option is that it's a lot of money to spend just for the ability to do pullovers. 

 

My concerns with the second option are somewhat more extensive. First, Frank Shamrock greets you as soon as you hit the website (sorry). Second, my experience with these removable door gyms is that as soon as you start adding slightly dynamic movement, you risk dislodging them and going for a trip to the floor, which while doing a pullover, could be bad news.

Oliver Harris

The release of F3 and 4 has brought around the realisation that life is going to be a lot easier with a personal set of stall bars so I've been looking at dealers in the UK and have found Artimex:

 

http://www.artimexsport.com/en/produse.php

 

The amount of options is a little confusing... is there one which stands out as best suited to the Foundation courses requirements? 

 

Any advice would be very appreciated

 

Cheers 

Eric Baum

Here is a video with my test for the PullOver bar as suggested, using a bar supported by the rings. My homemade trapeze =D

 

strme

better to have a bar in straps, not in the rings..  if you like your rings ;)

Eric Baum

Yeah, but I protected the rings and it was 10 times faster to set up than if I had to remove the rings and use only the straps.