Hi all, (Love your work Coach and Cory),
Im happy with my lsit on pbars, and was expecting to skip through straddle l work to se9, full straddle L. However, I've discovered that if i use pbars for straddle L work, the leg width / hip elevation requirement is much more demanding than on the floor (I assume my hands have been too narrow in training it up till now). I struggle to get a 1/2 straddle lsit correct for more than about 20 seconds at this width.
I had to try this when i noticed that Jeff is on the same bars he is using for the LSit.
Obviously my reaction is to start over from 1/2 straddle L with the wider bars. Before getting too stuck into it though, thought id better double check. Is that appropriate for straddle L work, or am getting over ambitious? ![]()
Thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Bar/paralette width
Started by Jon Douglas, December 22, 2013 · 4 Replies · 341 Views
Straddle l should be achieved with bars at about shoulder width. The exact width most gymnasts use is from the elbow to the tip of the finger plus about an inch.
It is good to get straddle lsit at this width so that stalder press will have a good foundation.
If we were just training for rings then a little narrower with bars turned out would be fine. But it's good to get this version down.
The biggest difference is that you will need better mobility. Wider straddle and better compression to bring the legs at least parallel as you mentioned. I have given some pointers on achieving this in other threads on the stalder press. I admit I have not looked completely through the manna mobility in f3 yet so it may also be covered there.
Daniel Burnham said:Straddle l should be achieved with bars at about shoulder width. The exact width most gymnasts use is from the elbow to the tip of the finger plus about an inch.
It is good to get straddle lsit at this width so that stalder press will have a good foundation.
If we were just training for rings then a little narrower with bars turned out would be fine. But it's good to get this version down.
The biggest difference is that you will need better mobility. Wider straddle and better compression to bring the legs at least parallel
That's perfect, thanks Daniel ![]()
Hmm, looks like MN in F3 will take me +1 year. I have my doubts whether straddle-L is possible for me, but there's only one way to find out...
I must say Im surprised how fast my hips are adapting. I stepped back to 1/2 straddle L at wk5 to get a running start, and in my 2nd real workout with it, it feels rock steady.
I think Im going to spend the most time with the 1/2 L. The hip cramps are becoming a welcome sensation of improvement rather than punishment ![]()
(Also, while travelling over Christmas period, totally g2ging free hespu. The press isn't hard but got to nail the balance in.... can't get that 'Swing Sally up' song out of my head though....)