Streching and flexibility book

Started by Boris Mikael Taube, December 21, 2013 · 4 Replies · 3,464 Views

Boris Mikael Taube

Hi people

I got the streching and flexibility book by Kit Laughlin yesterday. I read that many people have this book and had great ressults. How does your program look like? My plan is to just follow the book and do the daily 5 plus some hip flexor streches also. After that do lesson 1-7 once a week. When you feel you have mastered these position you go and do chapter 2. and do 8-15. And after that go to chapter 3 and do the end poses.

or do people just pick out different excercises and make a routine?

 

I just read a little bit in the book very many good detail you dont usually think about when you strech and MANY different excercises :) 

 

 

Jennifer

My book is coming next week.  I'm interested in seeing how it's different than the older version that I was able to see from the library. 

Kopavski

i didnt quite get the stretch program in that book, cause doing 1 chapter a week means what, you do all the shoulder exercises in a day and then the next week do hip exercises? (and when to add shoulders...) really confused. Therefore...
 

I made a program, where i do whole body in 3 days and then do it again, on sunday i rest. Like Kit wroted, you should stretch max twice a week, but really stretch that muscle when stretching. 

 

Jennifer

Kopavski, this is what I'm interested in finding out, because the way some people are talking about "doing the program" I'm wondering if the second edition of the book is significantly different than the first.   In the first edition, there is a guide in the back for different stretch routines for different sports, I wonder if this is what people are talking about?  I guess I'll find out soon enough. 

wheezer
Stretching and Flexibility, How to Use This Book said:

Although you may use the book (via the Index or Table of Contents) to locate a stretch for a particular part of the body, by far the best effects will be gained if you work your way through the book in the order that the material is presented, because some of the effects we are trying to achieve through the conjunction of poses or a series of poses. ...

I suggest you begin with lesson 1 and do a new lesson every week. As we recommend stretching only twice per week to begin with (the exceptions being the five trunk and spine stretches that can be done every day, and which are taught in lesson 1), do a complete lesson, and choose the most difficult exercises out of the lesson to try again at a subsequent, shorter session. In the beginning, I suggest that the old adage 'less is more' be your guide. I will expand on the reasons behind this advice in Chapter one.