I was browsing around and came across this http://www.gymsupply.com/openshouldertrainer.aspx
Was wondering if anybody has had experience with it in their handstand training at all. Seems relatively cheap if it's an effective tool
Started by Eric Cohen, December 20, 2013 · 7 Replies · 2,722 Views
I was browsing around and came across this http://www.gymsupply.com/openshouldertrainer.aspx
Was wondering if anybody has had experience with it in their handstand training at all. Seems relatively cheap if it's an effective tool
I know a guy at my gym that uses some kind of elastic rope like this for tumbling. Cheaper and lighter probably.
dont buy everything you see on the internet
this works bad if you have poor mobility in your shoulders. this means that if you have previously build up the strength to open the shoulder you can use that tool for the bodyline. but if you have poor mobility and you are compensating that with arch, bend arms etc there are no reason to use this tools. remember that this instrument gives to you a passive flexion that for nature is far less productive then active shoulder opening.
What Alex said. having a crutch like this may help initially (although I doubt it) but it would actually hamper your development in the long run. You need to learn to actively pull into the position yourself. A tool like this will only weaken the muscles that you need to develop.
Thanks Alex, that's the answer I needed. I do have quite limited shoulder mobility at this moment along with an impingement in my left side that I've been slowly working on and have quite a lower back arch that I need to correct.
H1 has some fantastic shoulder mobility drills....
Bipocni, I have about 5 or 6 of these somewhere. In my storage or maybe I gave them to my friend's gym. I honestly can't remember. I was going to sell them on ebay but can't remember where they are ATM.
These are not used as a tool to develop flexibility or musculature. It is a tool to force gymnasts or remind them when their shoulders are closed during skills.
To be honest, I found that they allowed to much slack when doing skills with them. They are ok, but could be so much better.