This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Arch body hold form check

Started by old dude_1969, December 19, 2013 · 6 Replies · 270 Views

old dude_1969

Hello,  I'm a 44 year old just starting in bodyweight training.  I have had the course for several months, but as of now, I'm committed to working on the Foundation series until the end (whatever that means at my age, who knows?)  I'm hoping to get some pointers on my form.  I know my arch is almost non-existent, but I have two issues potentially blocking my ROM.  One is that I have a 17 degree sideways curve (scoliosis)  in my thoracic spine and the other is that several years ago, I suffered a T3 compression fracture while taking a ski jump. That combination throws me into a bit of kyphosis.  

 

I know I am very weak in this hold, but have others found that building strength and endurance with the arch body hold improves range of motion?  I am wondering if my problem is more weakness than spinal deformity. Are there any mobilization/stretches to accompany the hold?  My suspicion is that I just follow what coach has laid out and things will fall into place. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Not bad, some corrections and tips: arch your head back this will make the arch easier, stretch the hips flexor this will help to prevent bending on the knees.

old dude_1969

Thanks!  I will incorporate both of those ideas! 

LateStarter@46

Hi Kchaus,

I have a similar ROM and have been at 5x60s from the start -would much rather have the mastery ROM. I also have postural kyphosis and my pre-SL PE1 exercises, which may help you too, are:

Top half: scapular wall shrugs, scapular shrugs (sPL PE1), face pulls, shoulder external rotations with cable machine, scapular pulls on lat machine, arch stretching (lie prone and support upper body on arms) -these all help with opening up the chest and straightening the kyphosis.

Bottom half: hip flexor stretching+++++++, and do sPL PE6 iM on floor mat keeping everything from the hips down off the mat -really milk this exercise, your glutes will get very strong.

Good luck, let us see how your ABH has improved down the line.

thecolin

To build a bit on what Alex said, really focus on locking out your legs and extending from the hips. The good news for you is that while this move seems to be all about the back, hip extension plays a very strong role in getting a high arch. Really concentrate on locked out legs and a strong glute contraction. Even with limited ROM in your back, this will greatly improve your arch over all.

 

 
LateStarter@46 said:

Hi Kchaus,
sPL PE6 iM on floor mat keeping everything from the hips down off the mat -really milk this exercise, your glutes will get very strong.

Interesting, I'm going to try that!

Bipocni

Firstly: your feet aren't touching.  You should probably work on that.

 

Second: Focus on extending the legs away from your body, then contract your glutes, and only then lift your legs off the ground.

 

I find the 'reclining hero' pose from yoga to be a pretty good hip flexor stretch.  It allows you to push further into your ROM, so you can focus on strengthening in the stretched position, which I think helps.

 

I find I need to focus on extending at the thoracic spine once I start this exercise.  I actually rock forward slightly, once I get going, and I'm at the point now where my legs aren't touching the ground at all (well, at least for the first set :unsure: )

old dude_1969

Thank you so much!   I will take all the advice I can get.  This is my hardest exercise, by far!!!!  I plan to implement all of the suggestions.  I really appreciate the help.