This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck squat, am I using too much momentum?

Started by BeanLion, December 19, 2013 · 4 Replies · 227 Views

BeanLion

Hi, I recorded myself doing a deck squat and I think I'm using my legs too much to get enough momentum to get back up. What do you think?

Also in there is my terrible attempts at skiers. Not the best angle to see them. I take it these will get better over time?

Thanks

Keilani Gutierrez

they look fine, it just seems you can replace the rocking with your legs to doing the rocking with your arms because the athlete does use them a bit, just mindful to not go to the excessive to make them easier.

on the skiers, keep your feet flat at all times and lower to a reasonable depth that is strong enough for you to get back up safely and with control.

thats about it, nothing that cant be fixed by a bit of refocusing and sweat

thecolin

You've definitely got some ankle flexibility to work on. Welcome to the club, you're among good (and numerous) company.  ;)  

 

As was mentioned, try and keep your feet flat during the skiers. The way your right toes raises up when you turn to the left and your left heel raises when you turn to the right is indicative of some asymmetry that you should try to explore and sort out.

 

It is a momentum assisted squat, so it's hard to say exactly how much is too much. But the less momentum you use the better. The more flexible your ankles are, the less momentum you'll need to get up. 

BeanLion

Thanks guys!

Yeah I noticed that with my toe when I watched the video. It's gonna be a long road! I'm liking the idea of recording my workouts though, I think rewatching them will make me realise I am actually progressing when it could feel like I'm not being stuck at the same exercise for months.

Guest
BeanLion said:

Thanks guys!

Yeah I noticed that with my toe when I watched the video. It's gonna be a long road! I'm liking the idea of recording my workouts though, I think rewatching them will make me realise I am actually progressing when it could feel like I'm not being stuck at the same exercise for months.

Jup, definitely record your workouts! I do it myself and it has helped to clear any doubt that I may have. Also when you do deck squats you may want to touch the ground just before you start rolling back (the athlete does it):

 

post-8722-0-19223200-1387490697_thumb.pn