This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is possible to develop hyperextended elbows with F1/HS1?

Started by Adriano Augusto, December 19, 2013 · 10 Replies · 580 Views

Adriano Augusto

A little weird, but is happening. I'm beginning to have hyperextended elbows when I stretch my arm to fullest and I see like the elbow is bending inside, like many gymnasts or acrobats or little girls/boys. It's not too much, but is visual at least.

 

I never have this kind of thing because I played football my entire life and, well, I know well how my body is to understand that I'm developing this weird thing :D

 

I don't know, maybe too much Straight Arm work in F1 (sPL, hello) and dislocate elements on HS1 are the cause of this, but I just want to know if this is weird or simply usual for this kind of training that we do.

 

I hope can post a pic soon. It's crazy.

 

Thanks!

 

EDIT: I'm 24.

Murray Truelove

I used to have very poor extension on my elbows. Over the past few years it has improved and in that time I've only done stuff from this site so who knows. My elbows can now completely straighten though no hyper-extension yet.

Bipocni

I suppose if your elbows naturally hyperextend but they've always been too tight to reach their full extension then the mobility work my have caused this.

-MR

I have always wondered about this. Most pictures I've seen of a real manna show the athlete's elbows as hyperextended. I've always wondered if this is something that developed through their training, or if they were born that way and therefore had a greater mechanical advantage when it came to achieving the hold. 

Matt JC

The limits of extension and flexion are predetermined by bone structure.  It's more likely that your straight arm work is allowing you to safely reach your predetermined maximum extension.

Coach Sommer
Matt JC said:

The limits of extension and flexion are predetermined by bone structure.  It's more likely that your straight arm work is allowing you to safely reach your predetermined maximum extension.

 

This is correct.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Adriano Augusto

Matt JC, thanks for the enlightening answer. Question solved. 

 

Thanks for the answers guys!

Mark Collins

The shape of the joint makes it near impossible to develop an unstable elbow into extension. The beauty of these foundation exercises is that they are restoring our mobility back to what it was like when we were children. You most likely developed tightness in the elbow and lacked your normal range of movement. It is subtle in the elbow, so you would not have noticed it. All those PPP and Planche leans have woken up the elbows :)

Adriano Augusto

Simply amazing. I knew that I was developing "hyperextended" elbow, but since christmass has improved even more!

 

uv49c.png

 

jzb66a.png

 

I have never got this form on my elbow in my life. What's more, I always had very straight elbow. But this... o_O

 

Thanks F1/HS1!

Jon Douglas

It is a little deceptive... when my upper arm is straight up and down, bicep belly forwards, my forearm goes outward somewhat. Maybe 20 degrees at the most. But when I set myself up in a planche lean, although I have no hyperextension, it looks like there is just because the angles seem so.

Mark Collins
Adriano Augusto said:

Simply amazing. I knew that I was developing "hyperextended" elbow, but since christmass has improved even more!

 

uv49c.png

 

jzb66a.png

 

I have never got this form on my elbow in my life. What's more, I always had very straight elbow. But this... o_O

 

Thanks F1/HS1!

You are regaining what you had as a child. Whilst most people are getting stiffer with training you are getting more mobile with GST. :)