This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 + H1, how much work

Started by Tomas Johansson, December 18, 2013 · 5 Replies · 260 Views

Tomas Johansson

I'm curious about the H1.

 

At the moment I only do F1 3 times per week and climb (bouldering) or kitesurfing 2 times per week. I think I could handle some more work even though my progress on the F1 is slow.

 

How much work is the H1. Is it very physical or is it more mobility/skill oriented? You think I can handle it if I have the time to put aside or will it slow my overall progress?

 

 

Jon Douglas

Very much more mobility/skill oriented. Although the mobility is taxing and you likely won't be able to do it (productively) every day, especially the weighted mobility, it is not going to tire you out :)

It's also shorter duration and slots neatly onto the end of an F session for me.

Murray Truelove

Really recommend it!

 

I do the H1 workout before my F1b workout and the combination feels great. Even if there was no handstand work in the whole program I'd buy it for the mobility work alone.

-MR

If you can do a headstand, I don't think it's very physical at all, at least at the beginning (where I am). It's mostly mobility work with light weights (some are using somewhat heavier weights, but you can move up to that gradually). It also doesn't take much time, probably 10-15 minutes depending on which week you're on.

 

The wrist prep and shoulder mobility alone are worth the program. The fact that you'll eventually get a straight bodyline handstand is just a really nice bonus :)

 

Highly recommended as an adjunct to the F series. 

Ravn

Even though the H1 drills are quite short on their own, for me the warm-up can get a little involved, since I personally have to stretch quite a bit beforehand to be able to meet the standard of the workout. It is not unusual for me to spend 40 minutes on an H1 session.

-MR
Ravn said:

Even though the H1 drills are quite short on their own, for me the warm-up can get a little involved, since I personally have to stretch quite a bit beforehand to be able to meet the standard of the workout. It is not unusual for me to spend 40 minutes on an H1 session.

That's interesting Ravn. Maybe that's why my HS mobility progress has been so slow. Despite what my signature says, I still haven't mastered HS/PE1>iM and am working it as well as HS/PE2>iM simultaneously while cycling through the final four weeks of HS/PE3 over and over. I just couldn't bear the idea of doing tripods for a year so I moved on to the headstand and then forearm headstand which I'll be staying at until my mobility catches up.

 

I do H1 after completing F so I figure I'm pretty warm by then, but I would be interested in hearing what your pre-HS stretching sessions consist of.