This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE4 and IM questions

Started by dritar, December 17, 2013 · 8 Replies · 385 Views

dritar

I apologize if this has been asked before but are we aiming for a particular weight as a goal with HS PE4. 

 

I started these this week and it seemed to be an easy exercise to do, with a relatively light bar. I tried one set with a heavier one and the exercise didn't feel harder, only harder in the sense that it was harder to hold the bar but not in the sense that maintaining the ribs pulled down and the back flat was any harder.

 

I'm assuming that since the exercise is about shoulder flexion while mantaining a flat back there's no need to work up to a heavy barbell, rather work into opening shoulders working up to a shoulder width grip and having the knuckles brush the floor while mantaining a flat back as per the focus point.

 

Is it it me, or does is this not dissimilar to a hollow hold (albeit easier because the legs rest on the floor) ?

 

On a related question, what weight should we work up with the IM ? I'm able to have a near shoulder grip but anything of iron barbell weight and I can't raise my arms into position smoothly.

 

Thanks.

Keilani Gutierrez

3-5lbs for mastery(the goal insight is in the similar vein of the dislocate elements, change the weight, make the grip narrow and aim for 25lbs after you've mastered it at 3-5lb) after you get to 25lb and want to give a bit extra, work upto 35lb, if you want to give more to your extra, hit 45lb as the upper limit of where you should take the PE

 

and now that that's mentioned it should be on your mind to master the iM's(1-4 and subsequent relating to dislocates) with 3-5lbs on each. on the flexion/extension, work upto a shoulder width grip, on the dislocates, work upto shoulder width + a hand width on each side. 

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

....on the dislocates, work upto shoulder width + a hand width on each side..... 

You might be happy with that.  I wont be satisfied until I can grab my thumb and dislocate like that.

wheezer
Bipocni said:

I wont be satisfied until I can grab my thumb and dislocate like that.

 

Heck yes - ready for parties. B-)

dritar

I'm still having difficulty "getting" this exercise. What's it supposed to feel like ? For me it's place the hands and arms in the proper position as shown and then "fight" to to press the upper back and lower back into the floor. Kind of like a hollow but without so much rounding of the upper back and without raising the legs. Is this correct ?

ausswe

I find the hardest part of this exercise is keeping my lower back and legs flat on the ground. Pulling ribs down and holding the position seems like the easy part

Adriano Augusto
dritar said:

I'm still having difficulty "getting" this exercise. What's it supposed to feel like ? For me it's place the hands and arms in the proper position as shown and then "fight" to to press the upper back and lower back into the floor. Kind of like a hollow but without so much rounding of the upper back and without raising the legs. Is this correct ?

You supposed to feel a lot of traps involvement, because you don't want your shoulder go to external rotation, insted of, you've to keep the shoulder looking fordward and "inner elbow" (that hole between biceps and forearms, I don't know how to name it) looking down without rotation.

 

About Pelvic tilt, I think it's a matter of weight and narrower of the bar. Go wider and with little weight and build up to it.

 

And hey, I'm on the same boat since the beginning of time too :D

thecolin
dritar said:

I tried one set with a heavier one and the exercise didn't feel harder...

 

...having the knuckles brush the floor while mantaining a flat back as per the focus point.

 

Are you holding the bar off the ground, or resting on the knucles? I'm not sure where the thread is, but Coach mentioned that the hands should not be resting on the ground, even if it looks like it in the video.

dritar

Touching on the floor, but not resting. More like pressing the floor.