This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A few questions for a beginner

Started by James Dunn, December 17, 2013 · 4 Replies · 263 Views

James Dunn

Hi, i have just bought Foundation 1, Foundation 2 & Handstand 1 and i would really appreciate some help with a few questions:

 

  1. I have been lifting weights for a while prior to deciding to do these programs, is there any way to include bench press whilst still being able to recover so that i don't lose my pressing strength and the same for pulling strength? 
  2. I chose the 4 day week including f1&h1 however it has me training 6 days on the automated program, why is this? 
  3.  There doesn't seem to be any ring work within the program either?
  4. And finally is there a guide anywhere as to what all the abbreviations mean within the workout table? For example, i don't know what any of this means:

F7

FL/PE1:
3x12s

5r FL/PE1-iM after each 
work set

SPL/PE1:
3x3r

5r SPL/PE1-iM after each 
work set

SL/PE1:
3x12s

10R SL/PE1-iM after each 
work set

MN/PE1:
3x3r

5r MN/PE1-iM after each 
work set

SLS/PE1:
3x3r

10r SLS/PE1-iM after each 
work set

HBP/PE1:
3x3r

10r HBP/PE1-iM after each 
work set

RC/PE1:
3x3r

30s RC/PE1-iM after each 
work set

 

 

 

Thank you :)

Keilani Gutierrez

hello! and nice to meet you :P let's see how we can get you sorted. 

 

1.you -can- do your regular training, but if you are interested in doing Foundation(which is why i reckon you bought it) you can put them in maintenance. rest assured, once your mobility is in order, you will notice that what you thought was a dip in strength to actually be the receding of a huge tidal wave behind it coming towards you! the only weight lifting experience I have as of today is going to a Crossfit Box Gym in my area and testing out my 1RM with Deadlifts(not romanian) and that total was 225lbs. if you can get in the mode of starting to see the difficulties in moves as the "weight", you'll spare yourself a lot of confusion. like i said, im not an expert when it comes to lifting weights and currently or beforehand, lifted weights, but i have seen people who have lifted before recommending to do 1-2 maintenance sets after your upper body workouts. 

 

2. i don't know! perhaps review the choices you made and check again because from what you copy/pasted is the schedule for 3day Integrated, not 4daysplit with H1 integrated. try that and if anything, contact Cory Fair via PM and he'll get you sorted. he's the lord of all that is webmastering and he does a great job at what he does. 

 

3.ring specific work(or SE=Specific Exercise) comes after the preliminary work(PE=Preparatory Exercise) is mastered. in some cases, as you can see in H1 there are 12 PE's and 14 SE's. in your F series, you'll see PE's in F1 and the first SE in F2. i'm not sure if you're familiar with Ballet but Ballerinas have to go through a preparatory stage of developing strength + mobility to then be able to safely undertake specific work on their tip toes. I can say the word in spanish and it's (Puntas) but im not certain how the ballerina slippers are called. this is the same methodology here. a certain degree of mobility and strength in that ROM(Range of Motion) has to be created because some of the exercises actually take place within those ROM's that you and me aren't really accustomed to, so that comes later :)

 

4.read through your course again, start from the intro, read everything, everything will be made clearer through reading the course material and when you have your next doubt, you can do one of two things, in level of importance(and time saving for you) use the search function within the F forum to search keywords of what you're looking for(Foundation has been out for almost a year and about every basic question that can be asked, has probably been asked, so try searching for it first.) if you by some reason can't seem to find what you're looking for, do as you have done already and post in the forum.

 

hope this sheds some light ^_^

Jennifer

Welcome to GB and to the forums!  I found that a cup of coffee and a few minutes reading old threads every morning has been quite the learning experience.    Lots of people post vids of their progress and that has been very instructive as well as inspiring for me. 

 

Good Luck!

CK BUILD

Hi,

 

give it time and you'll become familiar with your workout, you'll just go from one exercise to the next. I made notes on my printout for the exercises until I got the hang of it. Watch all the videos and read all the notes for the movement.

 

I used to be worried about losing my "gym" strength. I haven't trained in the gym with weights for 4 years now. I bought coaches building the gymnastics body a few years ago and it completely changed my thinking. I did have surgery recently due to a lingering injury, (2 discs replaced, fusion in neck), so I'd only been maintaining until recently. I won't be doing weights anymore, this is where the real strength is, injury prevention etc.

i had the same problem with the 6 days instead of 4, I think you are looking for '4 day foundation and 2hs' to train over 4 days.

 

If you are looking for ring strength/skill training, search the WOD's that coach used to post, I followed that religiously and loved that training.

 

Hope i helped.

 

Dave

James Dunn

Thank you everyone for the responses they have really helped!! :)