This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder/scapula position

Started by PrimalMove, December 17, 2013 · 5 Replies · 144 Views

PrimalMove

During the sPL, correct me if I'm wrong, we should have a nice round hollow body position, but how should the shoulders and scapula be during the FL progressions? I'm just a little confused. I have been keeping a lumbar pressed firmly into the ground, shoulders brought off the floor, and chin tucked. Is this correct?

Also, I'm working back lever as well after my MN, SL, and SLS work. Do I want a protracted or retracted scapula on this hold too?

Keilani Gutierrez

don't worry so much about the scap positions now, when there isn't so much an element of using them(that comes in F2 and subsequent progressions where they need to go).

 

for FL, i'm more inclined to make a comment of your tucked chin, because that could aggravate your neck but if it doesn't then don't worry too much about it. unless someone more experienced with the holds chimes in(i've tried tuck and Adv tuck holds before and noticed i felt better with a neutral neck instead of looking down at my toes but i dont know how much that comes into play in day to day practice because im just not at that level yet.) 

 

as for the BL, i honestly don't know. 

Bipocni
PrimalMove said:

Also, I'm working back lever as well after my MN, SL, and SLS work. Do I want a protracted or retracted scapula on this hold too?

Protract.  A good rule of thumb is to always move your scapula against gravity.

PrimalMove

Awesome, thank you both for the responses.

As for the tucked chin, it doesn't bother me, but Thursday I'll give neutral neck a go.

For the back lever, I'm only working on German hangs, but that advice on going against gravity makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

Keilani Gutierrez
PrimalMove said:

Awesome, thank you both for the responses.

As for the tucked chin, it doesn't bother me, but Thursday I'll give neutral neck a go.

For the back lever, I'm only working on German hangs, but that advice on going against gravity makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

just a heads up, neutral neck will make your upper body weight more. enjoy.  B-)

PrimalMove
Zach Armijo said:

You would prepare yourself well later on in foundation with a neutral head and arms over head in your full hollows.

I've been working arms overhead since the beginning out of habit.