This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Two questions: MN/PE7- hanging leg lift and HBP/PE11- russian dips

Started by The Wykydtron, December 16, 2013 · 7 Replies · 308 Views

The Wykydtron

Here are two things I've come across lately, that I was hoping to get some advice about. 

 

MN/PE7- hanging leg lifts: I have been doing them so that my ankles reach the bar, like in the video, but I have noticed that I can also raise up so that my shins/ knees meet the bar. I know that when in doubt you should just follow the video, which I've been doing, but I was wondering if it might help to raise up as high as you can (while keeping your legs and arms straight), since the Manna requires that motion?

 

 

HBP/PE11- russian dips: I'm starting to get a bruise on the inside of my bicep. I think it might be because of how thin the bars are. Is this normal in the beginning and will it go away? In the mean time I've started wrapping a towel around the bar, which has helped, it's just a small hassle.

 

This is the station I have to do the russian dips on, if I'm facing out the bars are just long enough to do them:

 

Pull-Up-Dip-Leg---Showrom.jpg

 

 

bigB

If you are doing  HLL on that dip/chin station without back support, the movement is far easier than on stall bars.

Not having back support allows you to use your lats to lift the legs.

 

You could improvise some sort of back support with an exercise ball or perhaps use the risers that extend to the chin up bar.

The Wykydtron
bigB said:

If you are doing  HLL on that dip/chin station without back support, the movement is far easier than on stall bars.

Not having back support allows you to use your lats to lift the legs.

 

You could improvise some sort of back support with an exercise ball or perhaps use the risers that extend to the chin up bar.

 

I'm doing the hanging leg lifts on stall bars. I'm only using that dip station for the russian dips.

Gavin S

I also developed bruises on the inside of my arm, near my bicep, from the Russian Dips. I don't really think you can avoid it. The obvious point would be that you exercise more control on the descent and thus make the impact much softer and so the bruising is less.

 

Anyone else with some thoughts on this one?

Guest

For replicating a stall bar, you can have someone push on your back to keep your arms perpendicular to the ground. To her chagrin, I have my mom help me out for about 5 mins twice a week to help with my MN progressions.

Jon Douglas

The bruising from Russian dips is not terribly painful and you do get used it. After about a month (as in, one 4 week cycle) I was happy enough doing them in a sleeveless shirt

The Wykydtron
Zach Armijo said:

The bruising is just part of the upper arm supports. You could just spend time in the upper arm support and swing to get use to the discomfort, but that isn't all that possible on the dip stations. To further your HLL concentration, utilize an under grip to kill the lat use even more.

 

Yeah I saw that an under grip is the next progression, so I'll be ready for that this week when I move to MN/PE8. Thanks.

 

Jon Douglas said:

The bruising from Russian dips is not terribly painful and you do get used it. After about a month (as in, one 4 week cycle) I was happy enough doing them in a sleeveless shirt

 

Ok thats good, I'm moving from week 8 to week 9 this week, which will be my second month of it so hopefully I get accustomed to the feeling. It isn't too bad, just nagging during that exercise.

Jon Douglas

Well, it's not a hard and fast time frame, your skin will adjust at its own pace, but it'll get there