This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Do you stop the set when you break tempo?

Started by kimura, December 16, 2013 · 7 Replies · 321 Views

kimura

Hey guys,

I had a question about breaking tempo and struggling during sets. I am able to complete 5 sets of 15 push ups, but I break tempo at about the 6th rep on the 4th set currently, and end up grinding through the rest of them, one or two at a time. The same thing happens the next set, I get to a certain point then I have to break tempo before pushing out the rest of the set one or two at a time.

What is the consensus here? Is it considered more beneficial to stop the set or to push through to the end? I keep good form, but like I said the reps are "grinding" and tempo is slow.

I have noticed progress lately in that the point where I have to break tempo comes later these days, which is encouraging. But if there's a better way, I'm open to it!

Anddd while I have you: I recently mastered SLS/PE2 and was just wondering, how many times do you test mastery on something before you consider it 100% mastered? I got through it nicely, but I think that on a day where I train BJJ, I may not demonstrate mastery as clearly. I think I was finally able to get it because I was completely fresh when testing mastery. Unfortunately I usually have to do foundation after BJJ.

Do I do another cycle until I can reproduce mastery even on my worst day? Or is it okay to only be able to demonstrate it when I'm fresh and feeling good?

Thanks for the input guys!

Ravn

I've had good results with pushing on when form breaks down. I interpret it as getting out of the comfort zone, which in turn forces the body to adapt. Just my personal experience.

 

About mastery, if it's sort of sketchy, I'd do mastery a few more times just to make sure your results are consistent. If an exercise is easy to pass, I just go for mastery once.

wheezer

When my form drops, I stop and take a 5-second breather, then continue on and finish the set.

 

The general rule is I take as much time as I need to get through the reps with good form. When I need no resting time to get through the sets and reps, it's mastered.

Jon Douglas

I do the same as Ravn; if I have to grind then I generally complete a set but don't count it as mastered. Significant change of tempo is losing form and not something to ingrain.

TANSTAAFL
Coach Sommer said:

- Dropping to 3 days per week is a good idea.

 

- Also don't engage in "grinding" reps.  These are those slow, almost to failure reps which are particularly draining on the central nervous system.  My recommendation is that when you are no longer able to perform smooth, good quallity tempo reps; it is time to terminate the set.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Just to put some rocks in the soup :).

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11324-guess-i-overtrained/

kimura

Thanks for the replies guys. I will keep going the way I'm doing it unless my progress stops. I definitely wouldn't count it as mastered unless my form and tempo are perfect so no worries there. I have a little ways to go before I master push-ups.

And I'll try mastery again on Cossacks this week just to be sure.

kimura

Lol rocks in the soup... Dang. Still, I'll stick to this way until my progress stops.

john_c

Would the same apply to static holds ? For example if you are doing 60 secs of FL/PE1 and you start lose form but can still keep your shoulders off the floor as stated in the direction but not quite as high as at the beginning of the rep ?