This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

[Form check] MN/PE1

Started by BeanLion, December 14, 2013 · 11 Replies · 304 Views

BeanLion

Last one! Here is my tuck up, I'm on week 5 at the minute but I thought I'd do 15r to give a better picture of my form which can vary a lot from rep to rep.

Thanks again and for all your help

wheezer

Great ROM - you're well on the way!

 

But - it looks to me like the last half of each tuck is achieved by jerking, rather than by a controlled abdominal compression. This would explain why the movement varies in each rep.

 

I found I could solve this problem in my own tuck-ups by using these cues:

 

1) Start by slowly curling to the FL/PE5 position; then

2) Smoothly raise the hands and shins towards the ceiling; then

3) Use my abdominals to press the knees towards the collarbone.

 

Even though I think of it in 3 stages, I find they all come together into a smooth, well-controlled movement.

 

Take as much time as you need to get through the reps slow and smooth. This will completely transform your core and prepare you very well for straight-leg core compression work.

Guest

Okay here is my constructive criticism:

 

  1. Your back is too rounded at the final position, most likely due to lack of mobility (I'm in the same boat). You need to sit up more:

IMG_1035.jpg

  1. Your are using momentum, according to Dillon, with any exercise you should be able to stop at any point in time to ensure you have control. It's all about the compression with this exercise.  
  2. Last but not least point your toes at all time. ;)
TANSTAAFL

What wheezer said. Also, it looks like you might be making it slightly harder on yourself by lifting the legs a little early. If you rewatch the demo video, his arms are past 90 degrees before the legs even come off the ground.

Jennifer

But what about this ??   I was sort of wondering about this too after reading this and looking at these notes:

 

 

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:47 PM


During MN/PE1 you have a tendency to first sit up with your torso and then tuck the legs up. This is incorrect. The torso and legs should both begin and end simultaneously.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

 

wheezer

Yup, that's what Coach says. The instruction video cheats a bit. Lifting the arms and legs simultaneously is critical preparation for the straddle-up (the next PE).

 

Incorrect. Coach says lift torso and legs simultaneously. See below.

TANSTAAFL
Jennifer said:

But what about this ?? 

Good find/point. I am only referring to the arms though, which albeit a small weight, helped me tremendously by going to at least 90 before lifting the torso/feet together. If you lift the legs and arms simultaneously, you make this much harder as you are going through a full hollow position.

 

Could still be wrong, so please correct away.

Guest

I'm struggling to compress my knees to my chest. What mobility exercises will help?

kimura

I'm having the same problem, and I almost feel like it's my bone structure blocking me, maybe due to the orientation of my acetabulum. I can compress if I let my knees come apart, but when I keep them together I feel blocked. Anybody have any insight on this?

Nash
wheezer said:

Yup, that's what Coach says. The instruction video cheats a bit. Lifting the arms and legs simultaneously is critical preparation for the straddle-up (the next PE).

 

When it doubt, make it harder on yourself! :icon_twisted:

Wheezer, Coach specifies torso and legs. Not arms and legs. Using this distinction, I don't think the video is cheating.

wheezer
Nash said:

Wheezer, Coach specifies torso and legs. Not arms and legs. Using this distinction, I don't think the video is cheating.

 

Good point. Ooooh... if you're allowed to start lifting the arms before the legs/torso, I'm further along this element than I thought! :D

 

Can someone please confirm?

BeanLion

Three months on, how time flies!

 

There's such a difference in form between when I first started this and now. Almost there as well I think, just need to work more on that final compression keeping my back straight.